How to configure a TP-Link N600 to act as a repeater

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2014-01-23 05:58:20
Region : Argentina

Model : TD-W8968

Hardware Version : V2

Firmware Version : LATEST

ISP :

I have a router TP-LINK N600 (TD-W8980) and an Alcatel Y800 (Mobile WiFi device with a 4G SIM inside)

The Y800 is connected to the internet (and any device can connect wirelessly to it and get internet)

The TP-Link router is switched on router mode (from ADSL modem mode) and has WDS support.

I go to the wireless settings and check WDS and scan for other wireless devices that are around to connect and bridge that connection. I find the Alcatel device, connect to it, put the router on the same channel as the Alcatel device.

All good so far.

On the Alcatel device DHCP is enabled to assign IPs from 100 to 254 and its set with mask 255.255.255.0 and its IP is 192.168.1.1

I looked everywhere online on different tutorials (for other routers) and they say to disable DHCP from my local machine and get a static IP which i did (192.168.1.100) then go on the TP-LINK and disable the DHCP and give it an IP...this is where i kid of failed...i don't know where to do this. There is the WAN section and the LAN section. The LAN has the DHCP disabled and the ip 192.168.1.1 and sub mask 255.255.255.0. When i try to put the wan on static IP of course it says it cannot have the same subnet mask as the LAN IP.

(WAN IP can not be in the same subnet as LAN IP!)

I tried changing the LAN ip to 192.168.2.1 but i lose access to the router completely after reboot so i need to reset and start over.

How can i spread the internet connection from the Alcatel device using the TP-LINK router.

Docs for TP-LINK: http://www.tp-link.com/Resources/document/TD-W8980_V1_User_Guide.pdf

Docs for Alcatel: http://www.alcatelonetouch.com/global-en/downloads/manual/one-touch-y800-user-manual-english.pdf

Can someone help please.

Thank you.
Options
1 Reply
Re:How to configure a TP-Link N600 to act as a repeater
2014-01-26 04:55:52
I think you can use the WDS function in Wireless Settings.
1.Disable the DHCP on the 8968
2.Change the LAN IP as 192.168.1.2 (You can access the router in this way)
3.Set the WDS settings in Wireless Settings
Until all the settings above are done, reboot the router, and your wireless signal is extended.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 5755

Replies: 1