Can't disable WPS on 5ghz Band

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Can't disable WPS on 5ghz Band

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
18 Reply
Re:Can't disable WPS on 5ghz Band
2014-09-10 15:09:38
I think it actually got fixed in the V1 July firmware release ;)
Options
2014-09-10 20:09:45

ankhazam wrote

I think it actually got fixed in the V1 July firmware release ;)

Well, it doesn't help us with V2. :( Is there any rumours about new V2 FW relase, which would come and save our networks from brute-force attacks?
Options
2014-09-11 14:01:43

Slim wrote

Well, it doesn't help us with V2. :( Is there any rumours about new V2 FW relase, which would come and save our networks from brute-force attacks?

It seems that your problem is different from others. I think you should post a new thread and describe in details. How did you find out your networks are facing brute-force attacks?
Options
2014-09-12 02:56:07

Ada wrote

It seems that your problem is different from others. I think you should post a new thread and describe in details. How did you find out your networks are facing brute-force attacks?

No, I don't think that I'm facing brute force attacks. But according to many sources, like this, WPS in always insecure. It has PIN, which can easily be guessed with brute force, so it causes unnecessary vulnerability to all of us with C7 V2.

So, I don't have any reasons to use WPS, and I just want to get rid of it. And it should be possible, there is just this bug, which is described in the first post.

And to make it worse, the internet UI shows WPS as disabled, which gives false feeling of safety...
Options
2015-04-13 23:17:41
Has there been any news of this issue being fixed?

I was tempted to buy this router due to good reviews but I don't want the security risk of WPS.
Options
2015-04-14 16:09:08
As ankhazam said in #10, the bug has been fixed. No worries.
Options
2015-04-14 21:32:07
Tony Seaford
As ankhazam said in #10, the bug has been fixed. No worries.

Sorry I should've specified I was interested in v2 as post #10 specifies v1.

TP-Link Tech support emailed me and I saw discussion in a comments section of a review that it has been fixed :)
Options
2019-11-16 10:35:46

@clee604 
A Guideline To WiFi Protected Setup

While configuring the wireless router on your own, you must have experienced the term WPS in the setup menus. You probably also noticed a button alongside all the Ethernet ports on the router’s back that marked WPS. This must trigger a bell, what is WPS?

WPS is the acronym for WiFi Protected Setup. It is a network security standard for creating a secure wireless home network. The initial target of the WPS protocol was to allow the home users to setup WiFi protected access and to add new devices to the existing network easily without entering long passphrases.

More about WPS please visit :

https://modernfury.us/what-is-wps/

Options
Related Articles