TL-WPA4220KIT and wifi extension problems: wrong ip-range

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TL-WPA4220KIT and wifi extension problems: wrong ip-range

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
96 Reply
Re:TL-WPA4220KIT and wifi extension problems: wrong ip-range
2014-11-10 14:30:46
My kit is working OK. Have you tried to reset them and pair them again? Your devices are still under warranty, right?
Options
TL-WPA4220 IP issues and internet issues - TL-WPA4220 Setup and solution
2014-11-21 23:56:35
Hello I had the same problem. Everything was running fine for 1 day. So I decided to test the throughput by using 4 PC's and 2 Phones steaming 4 1080P Bluray video locally, 8 Youtube HD test video 720P 1080P and 4K. I
then tried to connect the phones and I could not get an IP. Then I could not get an IP on any of my laptops or wireless devices. I tried to reset to factory defaults, updated firmware, restored my backup config files. But nothing worked.

I was about to take these back to the store but they were just working flawlessly!!

Solution:

( To save installation time and frustration, I would do this for the initial setup instead of plugging these into your wall jacks.)

I connected all of the adapters to my surge protector with nothing else connected to it the surge protector, plugged them in all in a row. Paired them 1 at a time (took only a few seconds).

Now I can get an IP without a problem. Unplugged them and plugged them back in and they worked right away. Make sure that you are plugging this directly into your router, not a switch.

I tested them for 24 hours now and all is good. I used TamoSoft Throughput test to test the WiFi and it did not drop signal at all. I tested streaming 4K video, 1080P, 720p, from yourtube and my DNLA media server on 4 computers, 2 phones, 1 samsung tablet, 55" vizio smart TV using DNLA streaming a blueray movie approx 5GB movie and everything worked. I was also able to send a 8GB file over with a transfer rate of 4.5Mbps during steaming to all the devices. Plus I could browse the internet without a problem. After sending the 8GB file, browsing my media server was slow (LAN side) but the internet was fine.

I am still testing them out but this definitely fixed my DHCP IP Addressing issue. (obtaining IP / Unknown Network / Discovering issues)

Try using your Android or iPhone to connect to the WiFi again.

I cloned these from my router using WPS and also manually cloned them using the Powerline Scan.exe tool from tp link.

Hope this helps!

I will update this soon. (November, 21 2014)
Options
Any update?
2014-12-12 16:19:37

napervilleitsolutions wrote

Hello I had the same problem. Everything was running fine for 1 day. So I decided to test the throughput by using 4 PC's and 2 Phones steaming 4 1080P Bluray video locally, 8 Youtube HD test video 720P 1080P and 4K. I
then tried to connect the phones and I could not get an IP. Then I could not get an IP on any of my laptops or wireless devices. I tried to reset to factory defaults, updated firmware, restored my backup config files. But nothing worked.

I was about to take these back to the store but they were just working flawlessly!!

Solution:

( To save installation time and frustration, I would do this for the initial setup instead of plugging these into your wall jacks.)

I connected all of the adapters to my surge protector with nothing else connected to it the surge protector, plugged them in all in a row. Paired them 1 at a time (took only a few seconds).

Now I can get an IP without a problem. Unplugged them and plugged them back in and they worked right away. Make sure that you are plugging this directly into your router, not a switch.

I tested them for 24 hours now and all is good. I used TamoSoft Throughput test to test the WiFi and it did not drop signal at all. I tested streaming 4K video, 1080P, 720p, from yourtube and my DNLA media server on 4 computers, 2 phones, 1 samsung tablet, 55" vizio smart TV using DNLA streaming a blueray movie approx 5GB movie and everything worked. I was also able to send a 8GB file over with a transfer rate of 4.5Mbps during steaming to all the devices. Plus I could browse the internet without a problem. After sending the 8GB file, browsing my media server was slow (LAN side) but the internet was fine.

I am still testing them out but this definitely fixed my DHCP IP Addressing issue. (obtaining IP / Unknown Network / Discovering issues)

I cloned these from my router using WPS and also manually cloned them using the Powerline Scan.exe tool from tp link.

Hope this helps!

Any update? Im having the same issue. Was going to add reservations for all devices via the Virgin HomeHub
Options
update?
2014-12-15 05:14:10

napervilleitsolutions wrote

Solution:

Hope this helps!

Any update on this situation. Recently purchased a wpa4220 and its just drops an internet connectivity.
Options
2014-12-15 17:22:50
Cable connection to WPA4220 works OK or it drops as well?
Options
Could this be the problem?
2014-12-28 17:29:55
@Vincent. I'm having lots of issues with these too.

1) It would seem to me that when a device first connects to a home router it is given a dynamic (DHCP) address.
2) Once I extend my wireless network with your powerline then my devices work great as part of the network until their lease expires, or something is powercycled.
3) After the lease expires then my device tries to get a new address or a new lease for the last one
4) I think my device is now asking the powerline for a new IP lease (as its the last access point my device connected too). As powerline doesn't have a DHCP server my device is falling back to an internal 169 address.

I think this is why devices are dropping off the network. I think the powerlines need to be able to proxy DHCP requests to stop this happening.

On a separate note should WPA281 and WPA4220 be ok working on the same network?

Thanks

Jon
Options
2014-12-29 17:37:10
No idea about the DHCP issue. Did you try static IP on your PC?
WPA281 and WPA4220 can work together indeed.
Options
2014-12-29 22:19:46

Jon_I wrote

@Vincent. I'm having lots of issues with these too.

1) It would seem to me that when a device first connects to a home router it is given a dynamic (DHCP) address.
2) Once I extend my wireless network with your powerline then my devices work great as part of the network until their lease expires, or something is powercycled.
3) After the lease expires then my device tries to get a new address or a new lease for the last one
4) I think my device is now asking the powerline for a new IP lease (as its the last access point my device connected too). As powerline doesn't have a DHCP server my device is falling back to an internal 169 address.

I think this is why devices are dropping off the network. I think the powerlines need to be able to proxy DHCP requests to stop this happening.

This is exactly what I'm experiencing. The 4220 does not renew DCHP leases correctly and the device ends up with a 169.x.x.x address. With static IP addresses everything works correctly but this is not an acceptable workaround.

Many of us have been reporting this issue for months.
Options
2015-03-02 08:14:19
I'm have also exactly same problem because unfortunately I can't get any renew DHCP messages across WPA4220.
Is there any solution beside assigning a static IP address because that is not a option for me!! :(((

Regards
Options
2015-03-07 00:03:50

Mavis wrote

Cable connection to WPA4220 works OK or it drops as well?

Both cabled and wireless drops connection intermittently in my case.
Options
Related Articles