TL-WPA4220KIT and wifi extension problems: wrong ip-range

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TL-WPA4220KIT and wifi extension problems: wrong ip-range

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
96 Reply
Re:TL-WPA4220KIT and wifi extension problems: wrong ip-range
2015-06-10 04:22:10

s2r wrote

I had the same issue and so far it seem resolved. I set in my dhcp sever a fixed address for the wifi extender. I rebooted many times but the problem remained. The extende got and set the desired ip address after unplugging the device that connects to the isp modem (don't remember the model)

So a reserved ip address set by the dhcp to the extender and then reboot all devices

I don't beleive that will work long term. These units seem to just scan the network for an 'open' IP address and just grab it. I see zero DHCP traffic in my routers logs from these devices, so they completely bypass that mechanism. Which is why so many are having issues.
What if the random IP it grabbed was that of a phone that was out of the house? When that phone comes back, now there is an IP address conflict on the network.

So a 'reserved' DHCP entry is only helpful in the sense that HDCP will not hand it out to another device, thereby reducing chances of conflict. But next time the WPA device decides to switch IP's, you are playing IP roulette.

Setting a fixed IP address on and for each WPA4220 is the only way I know of to cure this issue.

Of course, it seems there are some other issues with these units, but this is one of the biggest,
Options
Me too!
2015-07-26 15:25:13
I have the same problem. Have a number of these units and phones and laptops cant find IP adresses. Clearly, this is not an isolated, faulty unit but a issue with the units.
Options
Hmmm ... not working with Windows
2015-07-30 15:46:33
I get the same behaviour being described here. The Windows machine (Windows 8.1) gets an IP-address that is automatically allocated when it fails to auto-configure.

I can connect a Samsung phone, a Chromebook, MacAir, iMac and just about anything else I throw at it, but not Windows.

I started looking at what the router was doing, and from that side, everything looks fine.

1) I access the TP-LINK_xyz access point
2) Windows takes an eternity before quitting with Limited access
3) I look in the router, and DHCP has gotten a request and allocated a valid IP-address in my home network's range. I can tell by looking at the MAC-address.
4) I run ipconfig /all and I see that Windows never got it. There is a 196.something.or.other address assigned to the WiFi adapter.

There is something about TP-LINK that doesn't get along well with Windows.

I added and successfully paired a Netgear PowerLine switch in order to connect an Epson 3800 printer, and that works just fine. But Windows just does not want to do it. I have to go through the routers SSID in order to connect to the net. I can't access the net through TP-LINK's wifi points.

This is only a problem with Windows. Others act up, but eventually start to "play ball".
Options
2015-07-31 06:55:47
I've seem too have resolved the problem, on my end at least, after reading JonFo's last comment.

My LAN uses the 192.168.2.* range of IP addresses, and my router's DHCP server hands out IP addresses from 192.168.2.100 upwards.

I then set the IP address of my WPA4220 to 192.168.2.9 (an address outside of the range that DHCP hands out) and I added that IP address to the list of reserved clients that my router allows me to set.

After that, all my devices seem to connect fine with the WPA4220.
Options
2015-09-07 17:04:58
Well , I can tell you it is a known problem. I have the same issue. When i use 2 nodes, it works for a while, but after that it stops assigning Ip adreses .Giving your device that is connected through WiFi a fixed IP adress won't work either. There simply is no connection. One other strange thing is, the moment I add a third node , it stops directly with providing IP adresses from the router. I tested with Fritzbox as WPS host , Netgear as WPS host , Different DHCP server in the network. Nothing helps.

I called TP link support. They admitted there is a problem. No new firmware expected.

So TP link, please take this serious and solve the issue.
Options
My solution.....I hope
2015-09-08 16:38:26
I had similar problems, these are my steps:

My DLink DWR-923 router’s DHCP server hands out IP addresses from 192.168.0.100 upwards.

I have set fixed IP 192.168.0.7 for my WLAN MAC labeled on backside on WPA4220.

Reserved this IP address in the router’s DHCP reservation section.

It seems to be working correct now. Conclusion: “The easy way Plug & Play” is not working in my house.
Options
2015-09-23 20:57:34
Hi.

I've just read the hole thread and I'm really disappointed with TP-Link's attitude.

I've bought TL-WPA4220KIT and I'm facing some problems:
- I only can access to web interface when I unplug the smallest device (in that case I lost IP 95.95.xx.xx to 169.xxx.xxx.xxx)
- The local IP address is never saved, whatever the IP address I write
- The DHCP server is not working with my desktop's ethernet interface, either manual IP... so, it is not working for their main purpose.

I'm journalist at a popular portuguese tech website and I'm really motivated to write an article about TP-Link devices, with very bad feedback for sure.

Admin, please take a look on my email's domain and think if it worth the effort to fix all the issues stated in this thread.
Options
Thread: TL-WPA4220KIT and wifi extension problems: wrong ip-range - Solved
2015-10-15 16:08:51
I had similar issues and I read this thread 4 times to find the solution,It all started when I factory reset the adapters due to some reason. No matter what i do i always end up with the loopback range 169.254.x.x.

Solution (At-least for me)
After playing for 2 nights, i finally found out the solution - Both devices should be paired first once they are paired they (Repeater) will receive an IP range of your router.
Unfortunately it is not clearly mentioned anywhere in the manual that you have to pair the devices otherwise you will have loop-back IP address(168.154.x.x) like all of us are getting.

Hopefully this will helps.:)
Options
2015-10-17 18:19:31

f.malik.nl wrote

I had similar issues and I read this thread 4 times to find the solution,It all started when I factory reset the adapters due to some reason. No matter what i do i always end up with the loopback range 169.254.x.x.

Solution (At-least for me)
After playing for 2 nights, i finally found out the solution - Both devices should be paired first once they are paired they (Repeater) will receive an IP range of your router.
Unfortunately it is not clearly mentioned anywhere in the manual that you have to pair the devices otherwise you will have loop-back IP address(168.154.x.x) like all of us are getting.

Hopefully this will helps.:)

Good tip, but not completely accurate. By pairing, they are now both on your network, but the IP address it receives is *NOT* a DHCP requested address. It does what's been described before, it pokes around your network looking for an unused IP, then squats on that. this may or may not work long-term. It's pure IP-roulete.

The *only* sure-fire way to make these work reliably long-term is to assign them a fixed IP from below your DHCP range.
Options
2015-10-19 16:28:27

JonFo wrote

Good tip, but not completely accurate. By pairing, they are now both on your network, but the IP address it receives is *NOT* a DHCP requested address. It does what's been described before, it pokes around your network looking for an unused IP, then squats on that. this may or may not work long-term. It's pure IP-roulete.

The *only* sure-fire way to make these work reliably long-term is to assign them a fixed IP from below your DHCP range.

Loop back issues (196.254.x.x) will not be resolved by using IP address outside of the DHCP range – It will pick up the loopback range(196.254.x.x) within 1-2 mins. The issues will be only resolved when both devices are paired.
Not everyone has the option to set the IP out of DHCP range on the their routers (Just like me) as a work around I have chosen an IP from my DHCP range and set it as a static IP on my router for the TPLink device, it worked like a charm.

Again – As I mentioned earlier it worked for me J other might have different setups/ setting.
Options
Related Articles