Tablet and Desktop PC Won't Connect at Same Time TD-W8968

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2014-04-01 04:38:59
Region : Argentina

Model : TD-W8968

Hardware Version : V2

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I purchased a TD-W8968 for a friend. She has a PC running Windows XP with SP3, and a new Samsung 10" Tablet. The problem is that the only way to get the 2 devices to be able to use the router at the same time is to power up the router first (with the PC LAN cable unplugged), let the Samsung connect wirelessly, then plug the PC in via the cable. This is a very weird scenario - I've used a few TP-Link routers, but I've never seen this behaviour before. Please help!

Note: If I let the PC get access to the router first, the Samsung Tablet tries to connect, does so a bit slowly, authenticates ok, then tried to get an IP, fails within 1 or 2 seconds, then goes back to re-authentication, does that within 3-4 seconds, tries to get the IP, fails quickly and then just goes into an endless loop of this. I cannot think of any setting in the Router that would cause this problem. It has been setup in a very basic way, with no VPN or "interesting" settings.
Options
2 Reply
Re:Tablet and Desktop PC Won't Connect at Same Time TD-W8968
2014-04-28 23:08:46
The only scenario that I can think of in which this should happen is when there is a IP address conflict. Imagine a scenario that the Samsung Tablet is configured to use a fixed IP address (e.g. 196.168.1.2). So when it connects to the router first and there are no other devices connected then it is able to get the IP address (192.168.1.2). The desktop may have setting "obtain IP address automatically" so it is not a problem.
BUT if the PC goes first than it automatically get the 192.168.1.2 address and then the Samsung Tablet cannot get the IP address that it is configured to connect with.
However, This is never the case with Samsung tablets and hence I am surprised.
Are you sure that your "uninteresting" settings have the DHCP server configured correctly?
Options
Firmware Update - SOLVED
2014-05-15 05:17:31
The answer to the problem was that the firmware version that came with the Router was the problem. When I upgraded to the latest firmware, and rebooted the modem, all the problems went away. Pretty poor that a unit would go out with a version of firmware that causes such a basic problem, but it's good that I found the solution, even if it took an hour or so of frustration.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 325

Replies: 2