TD-W8980 freezes/locks up under load on Fibre BUT works fine on ADSL?!

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2014-06-19 13:53:34
Region : Australia

Model : TD-W8968

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Previous setup with this modem worked great, very stable and excellent speeds....

Provider: Internode
Service: ADSL2+

Just relocated and had nothing but problems...
Provider: Exetel
Service: NBN fibre

Occurs fairly quickly when torrenting although has also happened on other random occasions, the modem simply locks up. Windows reports "Limited connectivity" and wireless devices can no longer connect. Cannot log into modem to check it. After rebooting the modem I check the log and it's wiped, only the current entries are there with the time/date stamps being all wrong until it updates itself.

I did some searching and went with the recommendation of adjusting my torrent client settings to reduce connections, this helps a little but modem can still lock up without notice. I can't understand why I should need to change my client when it worked fine with the existing settings (client) on ADSL.

I then tried dropping the MTU a few times(down to 1000 now), again, possibly some improvement but still locks up eventually.

I've tried factory reset(manually re-entered all settings), firmware update and eventually contacted TP-Link who gave me an RMA no. So I swap in my replacement modem last night, loaded the configuration file and DAMN! Still the same!

I've removed the modem and connected my PC directly to the NTD and had no problem whatsoever.

This modem is marketed as "NBN ready" in Australia however beginning to doubt that...and the store is not interested in upgrading me to and AC wireless...what am I to do?!
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 350

Replies: 0