Simple port forwarding - can't get it to work

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2014-08-03 15:25:00
Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TD-W8980

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi. I am trying to set up a customers TD-W8980 router for port forwarding for the CCTV system. I do this regularly on many routers but I am stuck here. I imagine the settings are in virtual servers? I need to forward ports 9000/9001 to a local hard wired PC running Win 7. I have set the local PC to a static address and am able to access the internet OK from this PC. I have set up a virtual server using ports 9000 and 9001. I set the service port to 9000 and the internal port to 9000 and the CCTV PC's address as the IP address. I repeated this for port 9001. I changed the status as enable and saved.

I normally use the service www.canyouseeme.org to test the ports but cannot get see the ports are open on the CCTV PC. This is normally a simple operation on most routers.

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong? I am sorry but I don't know the firmware version of the router as I need to be at the customer to do this.

I am also concious that the customer uses the internet for very important stuff so don't want to mess up. I was thinking of DMZ mode bur surely forwarding a couple of ports to a local PC should be no problem?

I would appreciate any help from someone that has done this.

Many thanks

Rob
Options
3 Reply
Re:Simple port forwarding - can't get it to work
2014-08-03 17:43:27
Have you checked local access on these ports?
Options
2014-08-08 15:58:47
Hi. Yes. It is fine locally. Various devices can access the CCTV PC ok. I have noticed that when I enable the port forwarding after setting up (virtual servers in this router), the box doesn't stay ticked. I seems like it's not accepting enabled. Any other ideas? Many thanks. PS. I can only access this site by Teamviewer with customer permission
Options
2014-08-12 02:24:35
Hi rob99fla,
Have you checked the Windows firewall? Ports 9000 and 9001 are not common service ports and they will be blocked if the firewall is active. You can either disable the Windows firewall (maybe to test short term), or you can add to manual rulle to the Windows firewall if it need to stay on. Also, if the PC has multiple NIC's, make sure the rules are pointing to the correct IP of the desired NIC.

Cheers
Mark
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 649

Replies: 3

Related Articles