Switching my tp-link from routing mode to bridging mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2014-10-24 07:25:33
Region : Others

Model : TD-W8968

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version : 0.6.0 0.11 v0005.0 Build 120802 Rel.68426n

ISP : super YemenNet Subscribers Service

Hi,

I have 300Mbps Wireless N USB ADSL2+ Modem RouterModel No. TD-W8968

If I want to switch my tp-link from routing mode to bridging mode so it will start to work just as transparent modem. Will it support such mode?

I have user guide for 300Mbps Wireless N USB ADSL2+ Modem RouterModel No. TD-W8968. But I don't know in which section I will find this switch my tp-link from routing mode to bridging mode.

I have looked up in guide, I found that in the guide:::
4.5.1.6 Bridge: If you select this type of connection, the modem can be configured to act as a bridging device between your LAN and your ISP. Bridges are devices that enable two or more networks to communicate as if they are two segments of the same physical LAN.

However, I didn't find steps to how to set full mode bridge????

I have went to these screen shots in my IP 192.168.1.1.

Then, I clicked on 'add' button, then this appeared to me:

However, do you think that this will let my router as if transparent modem?
Options
6 Reply
Re:Switching my tp-link from routing mode to bridging mode
2014-10-24 10:45:44
In facotry default settings, it is in bridge mode. You can just simply reset it.
But the problem is that you cannot access internet in bridge mode except that you build a PPPoE connection on PC. If there is another router, you can configure PPPoE on it to share internet.
Why you have to use it as a transparent modem?
Options
2014-10-25 08:28:29

Ada wrote

In facotry default settings, it is in bridge mode. You can just simply reset it.
But the problem is that you cannot access internet in bridge mode except that you build a PPPoE connection on PC. If there is another router, you can configure PPPoE on it to share internet.

Thanks a lot,

I want to use 'MikroTik RouterBOARD hardware'

However, Mikrotik sells only Ethernet (or optical, or wireless equipped) routers. I cannot connect my RJ11 phone line into any Mikrotik router directly.

There is no mikrotik device that you can use as ADSL modem. I would need to still use separate ADSL modem (preferably in bridge mode) and connect it between your router and phone line.

I need a modem if I want to convert from DSL to Ethernet. Mikrotik does not produce any hardware that could act as DSL modem. But: I can switch my tp-link from routing mode to bridging mode so it will start to work just as transparent modem. If it supports such mode. I use ADSL modem built into TP-Link router. Not only tp-link provides routers with built-in adsl modems. There are many other producers that sells adsl modem equipped routers. But not Mikrotik. Mikrotik sells only ethernet (or optical, or wireless equipped) routers. I cannot connect my RJ11 phone line into any Mikrotik router directly.

You said that I cannot access internet in bridge mode, except that I build a PPPoE connection on PC. If there is another router, I can configure PPPoE on it to share internet.

First:
Why will I have to have another router configured in PPP0E? If I had to have another router configured PPP0E, then no need would be there from resting the first router into bridge mode.

Second: I want to use TP-Link as transprant modem, and the Microtik router as the router via which I will be connected to internet.

Finally: Since DSL is a phone line. You need a modem if you want to convert from DSL to Ethernet. Mikrotik does not produce any hardware that could act as DSL modem. Since any Mikrotik router cannot be directly connected to RJ11 phone line, I want to use my TP-Link ADSL modem-router(preferably in bridge mode), connect it between my Mikrotik router and phone line.

But, I really don't know how to use my current 'TP-Link' router as a transparent modem which will convert along with Mikrotik router??????
Options
Help
2015-06-22 20:25:14

Ada wrote

Hi, I have ADSL2+ here. Will the above work with a Netgear WNR2000v2 flashed with DD-WRT? Just use the TD-W8968 purely as an ADSL modem without any configuration by restoring to factory default settings?

Connect from Netgear yellow ethernet port into any of the available ports on the TD-W8968?

Appreciate your help. Thank you.
Options
2015-06-22 21:00:27

Ada wrote

Hi, I have ADSL2+ here. Will the above work with a Netgear WNR2000v2 flashed with DD-WRT? Just use the TD-W8968 purely as an ADSL modem without any configuration by restoring to factory default settings?

Connect from Netgear yellow ethernet port into any of the available ports on the TD-W8968?

Options
2015-06-23 22:45:22

TpLinkHelpMe wrote

You can try it. Maybe it work with you as well. It worked with me very well.
However, as said before, when using your a Netgear WNR2000v2 as transparent modem to connect the ADSL cable to it, you will need another router to configure it.
In my case I used 'MikroTik router' to access the internet. However, the TP-Link as a modem in bridge mode.
However, bear in mind, while connecting your router to be used to access into internet, you must connect the first end of the Ethernet cable to your transparent modem(TD-W8968), and connect the the end of your Ethernet cable to the first Ethernet port on your Netgear WNR2000v2..
Options
2015-06-23 23:12:14
My question now is: as long as my first TP-Link as modem in bridge mode, and my Mikrotik router as router to access the internet, then I can use another second TP-Link(100Mbps Wireless N USB ADSL2+ Modem RouterModel No. TD-W8968) to deploy my WiFi. I.e. If I want to let my WiFi network cover a wide area, then can I connect another '100Mbps Wireless N USB ADSL2+ Modem RouterModel No. TD-W8968' while in facotry default settings, in bridge mode to another MikroTike router by an Ethernet cable.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 6649

Replies: 6