Intermittent internet connection on TD-W8960N v3

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2014-11-04 16:38:51
Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TD-W8960N

Hardware Version : V3

Firmware Version : 1.4.0 Build 111108 Rel.40398n

ISP : Virgin Media (cable)

Hi,

I have an intermittent internet connection issue with my TD-W8960N v3 wireless router. I have tried everything I can think of, including updating the firmware and changing the channel from auto, after identifying one not being used by other WiFi devices (onto 6). I am no expert though so hoped that someone on here might be!!

When the internet connection drops, I still have a strong wireless connection to the router, it is just that there is no connection to the internet. The issue is seen on all devices I connect to the router (phones, tablet, laptop).

I have to regularly reboot the router to resolve this issue (either using the button on the router or through the web interface reboot. Sometimes it can be hours between the issue occurring, other times I will see it every 15 minutes or even more regularly.

I can log into the router web interface when the internet connection is down, I have attached two screen snips, to show the "working" and "not-working" diagnostic page:

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. If this could be a fault with the router then I will happily upgrade, however, I am reluctant to buy a new one if the problem is related to something else!

Thanks,

Richard
Options
2 Reply
Re:Intermittent internet connection on TD-W8960N v3
2014-11-05 11:26:57
Hi Richard, when connection drops, can you ping goolge.com or ping 8.8.8.8? Any WAN IP address still obtained on its web interface?
The best way to figure out the issue is to test by another modem.
Options
Re:Intermittent internet connection on TD-W8960N v3
2014-11-05 12:43:47
I'm also facing somewhat similar issue but with TD-W8968 modem/router:

http://forum.tp-link.com/showthread.php?78010-Intermittent-loss-of-internet-i.e-Internet-keeps-disconnecting-TD-W8968&region=china

The other difference being internet does not drop when wired or when near to modem/router; it given the 'no internet access' error when far from it :mad:
Options