TD-W9980 - slow broadband speed with talktalk

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TD-W9980 - slow broadband speed with talktalk

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
27 Reply
Re:TD-W9980 - slow broadband speed with talktalk
2015-01-06 22:21:22

freddyg wrote

Hi Radvd,

I did this before New Year:

Firmware Version:0.6.0 1.10 v0021.0 Build 141215 Rel.41342n

I am still having wifi drop out problems although I will try with 11n / 20MHz too. Is this for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz?

Update: Changed both 2.4 & 5GHz to 20MHz this morning. The wifi has just dropped out again. :(
Options
2015-01-07 11:45:30
When wifi drops I get an error on the wifi devices (tablet/smartphone/laptop) stating they were unable to obtain an IP address. A DHCP problem maybe? At this point sometimes I can still connect to the internet via the PC with ethernet to the router, sometimes not. If not, then the whole of my network is down - I can't even get to the router.

It is not just a Wi-Fi issue, When the whole network is down, how about status of all lights? How often does it happen?
Options
2015-01-07 17:42:44
The status of the lights doesn't change

From left to right: Power steady, DSL steady, internet flashes 3x per second, wifi flashes 2x per second, LAN flashing with ethernet activity

It happens numerous random times throughout the day.
Options
2015-01-08 15:44:17
Lights are normal indeed. It seems that there is an annoying frozen issue.
Get a replacement to test under warranty.
Options
2015-01-08 18:19:13
I have requested a replacement and will update this thread accordingly. Thank you.
Options
2015-01-09 16:15:58
Looking to hear from you soon and good luck. ;)
Options
On my third router now :-(
2015-01-24 19:35:37
Update to the thread.

I am now on my third TD-W9980 router and am having the same problems.

First, the wifi drops, then the internet connection, then the LAN.

All three routers have had the latest firmware applied - factory reset and the reconfigured. They all worked fine for a day and then the problems start.

I have not experienced this on any previous routers when using ADSL, these problems only started since switching to VDSL and switching to TP-Link routers.

Has anybody got any advice? I'm getting very frustrated. :mad:
Options
2015-01-26 16:04:38
It is time to submit a ticket here to report this problem. I have no more ideas. If there is any progress with TP-LINK support later, share it here pls. Good luck. One more tip: describe what you've done in details to avoid duplicate troubleshooting.
http://ticket.tp-link.com/index.php?/Tickets/Submit
Options
2015-01-26 18:14:01

Mavis wrote

It is time to submit a ticket here to report this problem. I have no more ideas. If there is any progress with TP-LINK support later, share it here pls. Good luck. One more tip: describe what you've done in details to avoid duplicate troubleshooting.
http://ticket.tp-link.com/index.php?/Tickets/Submit

Hi Mavis,

There is already a ticket open, thank you.

It's odd that I never experienced any problems like this before moving to VDSL and the new router/modem. My own infrastructure has not changed.

The fact than no detailed logs are produced is not helping either; the logs are wiped clean every time the router is restarted - meaning there is no record of what caused it to stop functioning.

As for the logs, they only list DCHPC and DHCPD entries, very little else.

I still thing this is a problem with DHCP as the first thing that happens when it starts to go wrong is the loss of wifi devices with the error "unable to obtain IP address", then the broadband and finally the LAN. When the LAN goes, all ethernet devices revert to a 169 address. Default when unable to obtain a DCHP address.
Options
2015-01-27 14:15:20
I preferred to believe that it was a device issue, however it has been replaced already but the problem continues. Anyway, now I'm interested in how it is going with TP-LINK people. :)
Options
Related Articles