Problems with new TD-W8968

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2014-12-30 02:04:46
Region : Argentina

Model : TL-WR841ND

Hardware Version : V3

Firmware Version : 1.0.5 Build 140821 Rel.52209

ISP : Orange (EE)

Note: The model no. is TD-W8968 (which isn't available in the drop-down list... why not?)

This is a new TP-Link TD-W8968. The problem is that several times a day the internet stops working and websites timeout. If the router is switched off and on again then internet is restored again... until it fails once more. This affects PCs connected directly to the router via network cables, laptops connected via Powerline and to phones and tablets connected via wireless.

What steps can I take to resolve this?

Is "Dial on demand (with idle timeout timer)" disabled by default? It's not clear from the manual.

Regards,

Rick
Options
4 Reply
Re:Problems with new TD-W8968
2014-12-30 09:32:24
1. Select "Always dail-up" instead of "Dial on demand (with idle timeout timer)"
2. Also contact your ISP check for the internet line
Options
2014-12-31 02:34:53
Hi coca koala - Thank you for your reply but I cannot see any option to "Always dial-up".

My question remains... is "Dial on demand (with idle timeout timer)" disabled by default?

As for contacting the ISP to check the internet line, there has been no change in the phone line and the previous wireless router - a Netgear DGN1000 - never had a problem with dropping the internet connection. The only reason the previous router was replaced was because its wireless radio failed.
Options
2015-01-08 15:07:08
Post the ADSL Status of your TD-W8968.

SNR Margin (dB) and Line Attenuation (dB) reflect the condition of the adsl line

Other suggestion
1. Upgrade the latest firmware.
2. Disable IPV6

In addition, when the internet is down, how does the ADSL LED and internet LED show? Can you log in the router?
Options
2015-02-05 23:13:41
Hi coca koala - My apologies for not replying sooner but I have been in direct contact with TP-Link support and thought it best not to 'muddy the water' by posting here. Despite many very helpful emails from one of the TP-Link support staff (Thank you, Vivian Tang) we were never able to get to the bottom of why the TD-W8968 kept dropping its internet connection (even though both the ADSL and internet lights remained lit).

After several weeks the family that I had installed it for became so frustrated with having to reboot the TD-W8968 several times an evening that they demanded I take it away. By coincidence I had re-flashed their old Netgear router with new firmware (a second time as a last resort before throwing it in the bin) and found wireless was working again so I put that back in. To be honest, the family live so far away I was quite relieved when the family reported the old router was working fine and I no longer needed to visit. (The family has since decided to have 'up to 50 Mbps' cable broadband installed to replace their current 'up to 7Mbps' ADSL connection.)
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 789

Replies: 4

Related Articles