Powerline disconnecting issues

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-01-01 00:25:59
Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TL-PA4010PKIT

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version : 500A-1.1.0.844-01-20120919-FINAL

ISP : Sky

The model number is not in the list, it is: TP-Link TL-PA4020PKIT AV500

I downloaded the firmware from the website and updated it: 500A-1.1.0.844-01-20120919-FINAL

SETUP

My pc and router are both on the second floor. My router is in another room and running a cable along the floor from my room to the room that the router is in is just not a solution so I used the powerline adapter.

PC plugs into the power adapter at the wall in my room. Another adapter is in the other room where the router is plugged in.
the adapter for my pc has 2 ethernet ports so aswell as my pc that connects to the adapter, my tv box also connects to it

Trouble Shooting

The internet from my pc only will disconnect about 3 times a day, randomly for random amounts of time, usually lasts a few minutes.
Whilst the internet has been lost from my pc, I use my mobile phone to ping the router and it still works.
[*]I used my phone to ping another device wired to the router, it pinged fine.
[*]I changed ports for what my powerline adapter was plugged into (in the other room).
[*]I changed both ethernet cables (from my pc to the wall + from the wall in the other room to the router).
[*]Removed the tv box from the adapter (leaving just only the pc connected).
[*]The 3 lights on each adapter are all blinking green.

Temporary Fixes

I can replug in the ethernet cable from either my pc or the powerline adapter, on reconnection the internet comes back.
[*]I can switch my pc to use wifi and it instantly works.
[*]I can wait a few minutes for it to come back it's self.

Powerline Adapters Being Used
My room [B]TP-Link TL-PA4020PKIT AV500[/B]
My pc.
My tv box.

Other room TP-Link TL-PA551KIT AV500+
Router.

Downstairs TP-Link TL-PA4020PKIT AV500.
Downstairs tv box.

(my room) TL-PA4020PKIT

(router) TL-PA551KIT
Options
16 Reply
Re:Powerline disconnecting issues
2015-01-06 19:02:25
I can replug in the ethernet cable from either my pc or the powerline adapter, on reconnection the internet comes back.

That is the point I don't understand. If the powerline hangs, why re-plugging the Ethernet cable will recover internet.

Do a little test. Set a static IP address on your PC, let see whether it makes any difference
Options
2015-01-06 21:57:41
I always use a static ip.

I have tried swapping the other 2 adapters around.

So now the TL-PA4020PKIT is at the router (and my pc). .... See if it doesn't like having a mix and match.

And the TL-PA551KIT is now downstairs for the other tv box.

I will leave it like this for a few days and see what happens.
If you have any more suggestions please tell me :)

thanks
Options
2015-01-13 17:32:24
Found another forum with the same problem. I shall try the extra download to turn power save mode off.
Options
2015-01-14 16:10:10

Dannyk90 wrote

Found another forum with the same problem. I shall try the extra download to turn power save mode off.

Hi, I just see that thread too. Disable power save mode will solve the problem, check the post by Timx
http://forum.tp-link.com/showthread....WPA4220Kit-WoL

Install the utility of TL-PA4020PT first.
http://www.tp-link.com/en/support/do...rsion=V1#tbl_b

Then download "SwitchPowerSaveTool", this tool can disable power save mode.
http://www.tp-link.com/resources/sof...erSaveTool.zip
Options
2015-01-14 16:49:12
Yes, have already done that :)
Options
question
2015-01-16 08:12:58

Tobacco wrote

Hi, I just see that thread too. Disable power save mode will solve the problem, check the post by Timx
http://forum.tp-link.com/showthread....WPA4220Kit-WoL

Install the utility of TL-PA4020PT first.
http://www.tp-link.com/en/support/do...rsion=V1#tbl_b

Then download "SwitchPowerSaveTool", this tool can disable power save mode.
http://www.tp-link.com/resources/sof...erSaveTool.zip
All of these links lead me to "404 Not Found"

Would you mind reposting the correct link to the power save feature? The only power save feature I can find on the forums is for the TL-PA511 model. I have a TL-WPA4220KIT. Will that power save file work for my model too?

Thanks
Options
2015-01-16 16:41:36
I didn't notice what model was being talked about when I downloaded the power save tool. Just make sure you have the main program open first and and then run the power save tool, turn it off :)
Options
2015-01-18 18:17:49
Nope, still getting the same problem !! Turning off sleep mode either did not work or it may have come back on by its self ??
Options
2015-01-20 04:11:29

Dannyk90 wrote

Nope, still getting the same problem !! Turning off sleep mode either did not work or it may have come back on by its self ??

In the regular TP-LINK powerline utility, try changing in the Advanced tab, Online Game -> Internet. It could be a coincidence, but I've not lost a single packet over the powerline in the last 15 hours since I checked this, whereas before I was experiencing a bunch of short outages. And I also have powersave turned off.

Jim
Options
2015-01-20 21:47:08
Thanks Jim, I have just done that now.

Also I've looked around the ethernet adapter settings of ipv4.
On the Link Speed tab I have put it to the actual speed of the adapter rather than automatic - if it is on the wrong speed then you will not get any internet. My adapter speed is 100mbps so I put the "speed and duplex" on 100 Mbps Full Duplex.

I have also turned off Wake on Lan. Not sure if that will help but I dont need this feature.

Since my post my internet has been fine, but the real test is if it can stay connected for over a week. I shall reply back if it disconnects and then I shall think about changing company of power line adapters.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 9312

Replies: 16

Related Articles