Archer D7 Alternate DNS server for IP range

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-01-03 05:59:32
Region : NewZealand

Model : TD-W8968

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I hope this is in the correct forum

What I'm trying to achieve is the following.

Use 2 separate DNS servers for different IP ranges. For example if I want 192.168.1.2 through 192.168.1.100 to use DNS server A then as a way to control adult content and make a child friendly network have 192.168.1.101 - 192.168.1.255 DNS server B. I know that I can set up a group and make all of the kids devices conect through the 2,4GHZ network but I also have some other evices that only work on the 2.4GHZ network and it means that the MAC address/ip assignment doesn't work.

Can this be done in anyway using a firewall rule etc?

Many thanks

Ian Cox
Options
1 Reply
Re:Archer D7 Alternate DNS server for IP range
2015-01-05 16:13:43
You would need two advanced DHCP servers to realize those requirements in that way.

However, I come up with a idea in a alternative way. You may give it a try.

1. On the D7, set up two DNS server: DNS_children (primary) and DNS_adult (secondary).
2. In DHCP settings, create IP reservation entries for your children's devices so that they are always assigned the same IP addresses.
3. Create Firewall rule to deny the children hosts to access DNS_adult. So the children hosts can never resolve domain names from DNS_adult.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 374

Replies: 1