Unable to clone modem's wifi SSID

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-02-05 04:16:27
Region : Ireland

Model : TL-WPA281

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP : UPC (Ireland)

Hello everyone.

I purchased the TL-WPA281 kit today and I've encountered a problem cloning the wifi. I suspect this could be related to my UPC provided modem (there is a WPS button, unless I'm sorely mistaken).

Everything except the cloning is working alright. I'm currently writing this connected via an ethernet cable using the range extender, however I am unable to get the wifi to clone the SSID. It keeps the TP-LINK default SSID no matter how many times I try to clone it. Now, I'm not necessarily the most tech savvy individual on the planet, but as I understand there is a button on the side on my modem (Technicolor TC7200 modem provided by ISP). What seems to happen when I press it, however, is that the wifi light on my modem simply turns off/on when I press it.

Every light on the range extender and adapter are on as they should be, and the cloning process happens as described in the instructions; light blinks slowly for 20-30 seconds and then all lights turn on for 5 seconds or so, and then rapid blinking. It does however stick to the default SSID and not my modem's.

Additionally, I saw mentioned in a thread on a different forum where someone had a similar problem (not the same modem), related to their TV service from the same provider, and the same TP-Link product. I'll quote the message below as to how he fixed it.

--
"If you try to use the WPS function from the TV menu, it appears to try to work but fail. I found that this is because WPS is Disabled as standard - but you can't tell from from the TV menu, or enable it from there.

I logged in to the Horizon WebApp admin page (192.168.192.1) and enabled it there.
- Wireless -> WPS -> Enabled.
- Save, then hit PBC Start.
- then quickly start the WPS button / function on the other device

This way, I was able to clone the Horizon WiFI settings to a TP-Link TL-WPA281 V3. (powerline adapter) successfully,

Later, I remembered that I should Disable WPS again, since it's a potential security risk, but when I checked, it was already disabled - a good thing."
--

I tried what this person discovered, but had no more luck with cloning (WPS is now disabled in my modem again).

Will I have to sign in to the default SSID and change it to match my modem? I was of the understanding that it should do this for me, and this process was for using a separate SSID.

Any help you can provide is much appreciated. I'll provide any additional information you might require to the best of my knowledge.
Options
1 Reply
Re:Unable to clone modem's wifi SSID
2015-02-05 11:36:28
There is a second way to clone SSID and security settings.
Run the utility of WPA281. Once it s detected, press Connect. Type in admin for username and password. On Wireless---Wireless Settings and Wireless Security page, you can change SSID and security option manually.
Actually, there is related description in quick installation guide.
http://www.tp-ink.com/Resources/document/TL-WPA281_V1_QIG_7106503655.pdf
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1112

Replies: 1

Related Articles