Using 24-port switch with TD-W8961N ADSL router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-02-24 15:30:08
Region : Singapore

Model : TD-W8961ND

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP : singtel

Hi,

I'm looking for help on the TD-W8961N adsl router which I'm using in our small office environment.

I currently have a 16-port and a 5-port unmanaged switch connected to this (daisy-chained), with up to 12 ethernet ports in use for our PCs and one network printer.

We are moving to a new office which has structured cabling installed, with around 24 ethernet ports around the premises cabled back to normal ethernet terminations in a small room which also has the telecom termination point and is where the router and switch equipment will need to go (poor ventilation and no aircon in this room).

My questions are as follows:
1) Will my current router be able to handle 24-ports through unmanaged switches if we expand to the point where all ports are in use? If not, what would be the maximum number of IP's supported with this router?

2) If the router can handle 24/32 ports: Current switches are fairly old 100Mbit fanless desktop models. Would it be OK to buy another 8 or 16-port desktop switch and connect both to the router to give me the 24-ports, or would there be significant advantage to replacing the switches with a new 24-port gigabit switch?

3) If I add or replace the switches, am I ok with fanless desktop switches or should I look at cooled models for this non-airnetworingconditioned room in a tropical climate?

Hoping some kind person can share their knowledge on this!

Dylan
Options
2 Reply
Re:Using 24-port switch with TD-W8961N ADSL router
2015-02-26 13:49:52
As W8961N is a SOHO device, I'm afraid that it may not be able to work stably if you connect so many devices...
It doesn't matter that you use an old switch plus another switch or use a new switch.
Options
Re:Using 24-port switch with TD-W8961N ADSL router
2015-02-27 04:14:41
I confirm it, router W8961ND is typical home device. For more computers please use SMB line (ER6020, ER6120)
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 391

Replies: 2

Related Articles