wired port multicast/bonjour not being sent out wireless port?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-03-13 03:33:24
Region : Argentina

Model : TL-WPA281

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version :

ISP :

hi. to paraphrase a possibly related post, i have 2 TL-WPA4220's (A and B, to give them names) and one TL-PA4010 (C, say) in my house. "They are all paired via the same Powerline network name." C is connected to a wifi box (that also houses a DSL modem).

A has its wireless turned off, so just the two ethernet ports are in use. one of the ethernet ports connects to an Epson printer that supports Bonjour.

if i use my Mac (running macosx 10.10.2) in the neighborhood of B (the second WPA-4220), i don't see the Bonjour printer. on the other hand, if i use my Mac in the neighborhood of C (so, getting wifi from my wireless/DSL box), i see the Bonjour printer (and am able to print to it).

i also have a very nice tool on my ipad, Network Analyzer (by Jiri Techet). it basically corroborates what i see on my Mac: in the neighborhood of B, it says the Epson printer has UPnP (universal plug and play), but not Bonjour, whereas in the neighborhood of C it says the printer has UPnP as well as Bonjour. (in addition, Network Analyzer detects a capability called "Pingable" -- which is mysteriously different from being able to send a unicast ping to the device -- and it says that near B the Epson printer is *not* pingable, whereas near C, the Epson printer *is* pingable.)

so, my sense is that the TL-WPA4220 is *not* propagating multicast messages between the wired and wireless networks (or, possibly more correctly, between the *powerline* and the wireless networks). note that the firmware version i am running specifically claims to support Bonjour (assuming i'm reading the notes and numbering system correctly).

i wonder if anyone has any ideas about how to fix this? (i'm totally new to this forum.) cheers.
Options
19 Reply
Tp link support please answer
2015-03-13 23:58:57

spgggm wrote

Region : Argentina

Model : TL-WPA281

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version :

ISP :

hi. to paraphrase a possibly related post, i have 2 TL-WPA4220's (A and B, to give them names) and one TL-PA4010 (C, say) in my house. "They are all paired via the same Powerline network name." C is connected to a wifi box (that also houses a DSL modem).

A has its wireless turned off, so just the two ethernet ports are in use. one of the ethernet ports connects to an Epson printer that supports Bonjour.

if i use my Mac (running macosx 10.10.2) in the neighborhood of B (the second WPA-4220), i don't see the Bonjour printer. on the other hand, if i use my Mac in the neighborhood of C (so, getting wifi from my wireless/DSL box), i see the Bonjour printer (and am able to print to it).

i also have a very nice tool on my ipad, Network Analyzer (by Jiri Techet). it basically corroborates what i see on my Mac: in the neighborhood of B, it says the Epson printer has UPnP (universal plug and play), but not Bonjour, whereas in the neighborhood of C it says the printer has UPnP as well as Bonjour. (in addition, Network Analyzer detects a capability called "Pingable" -- which is mysteriously different from being able to send a unicast ping to the device -- and it says that near B the Epson printer is *not* pingable, whereas near C, the Epson printer *is* pingable.)

so, my sense is that the TL-WPA4220 is *not* propagating multicast messages between the wired and wireless networks (or, possibly more correctly, between the *powerline* and the wireless networks). note that the firmware version i am running specifically claims to support Bonjour (assuming i'm reading the notes and numbering system correctly).

i wonder if anyone has any ideas about how to fix this? (i'm totally new to this forum.) cheers.

I am facing an almost identical issue.

I have the latest firmware on all the TP Link Powerline Devices.

Yet the bonjour service seems to be erratic or completely blocked.

As TP Link specifically mention a fix for Bonjour in an earlier release of the firmware for the wireless Powerline devices perhaps they can shed some light on the problem we are facing.

Like you all I want is a reliable connection to my printer.
Options
Re:wired port multicast/bonjour not being sent out wireless port?
2015-03-16 17:11:20
@spgggm, what's the firmware version of your WPA4220?

@PowerRanger, on their website, it says "Add support for bonjour applications(airplay, airprint) with firmware TL-WPA4220_V1_131219 indeed. Did you try to contact their support team?
http://ticket.tp-link.com/index.php?/Tickets/Submit
Options
2015-03-16 23:14:07

Tony Seaford wrote

@spgggm, what's the firmware version of your WPA4220?

@PowerRanger, on their website, it says "Add support for bonjour applications(airplay, airprint) with firmware TL-WPA4220_V1_131219 indeed. Did you try to contact their support team?
http://ticket.tp-link.com/index.php?/Tickets/Submit

Hi Tony

I have the latest firmware, the version after the apparent fix for bonjour was released.

No I have not contacted support yet, I was working through a set of possibilities and found this post almost by accident.

I need to check a few more variables before I can submit a detailed ticket, I won't have access to the kit in question until next week.
Options
2015-03-31 19:53:14

PowerRanger wrote

Hi Tony

I have the latest firmware, the version after the apparent fix for bonjour was released.

No I have not contacted support yet, I was working through a set of possibilities and found this post almost by accident.

I need to check a few more variables before I can submit a detailed ticket, I won't have access to the kit in question until next week.

Let us know how you get on with the ticket. I filed one for this issue last year, they eventually sent me some beta firmware but it didn't fix the issue.
Options
2015-04-01 15:54:48
If the beta firmware doesn't fix it, why not re-open the ticket and tell them?
Options
2015-04-01 18:00:38

Tony Seaford wrote

If the beta firmware doesn't fix it, why not re-open the ticket and tell them?

I did tell them, the last response from them (in January) was:

"I am afriad that I may need to consult more with our seniors about this. I will let you if I get any suggestion"

which sounded like there wasn't going to be any fix any time soon and repeatedly asking them wasn't likely to make much difference. But now that I have more reports of people having the same issue, I'll re-open and point them at this and the other reports I've encountered.
Options
2015-04-03 03:32:35
Tony, my WPA4220s are running "1.2.8 Build 140401 Rel.49960n; MAC-QCA7420-1.1.0.844-01-20120919-FINAL".

my TL-PA4010 is running "MAC-QCA7420-1.0.0.337-01-20120309-FINAL".

(sorry for the slow response! i guess the forum doesn't e-mail me when a post comes in; or, i haven't figured out some setting.) cheers.
Options
2015-05-21 23:27:45
I’ve been trying to come up with some test cases. So far, the best I have is that if I assign the WPA4220 its own SSID, then use the iSyncr client on my Android phone to detect and sync the iTunes library on my Mac, the results are pretty consistent depending on which device is connected to which access point:

Phone (WPA), Laptop (ROUTER) : OK
Phone (ROUTER), Laptop (ROUTER): OK
Phone (ROUTER), Laptop (WPA) : FAIL
Phone (WPA), Laptop (WPA): FAIL
Options
2015-06-07 18:57:36
I came across this post as am having similar issues I think. I have a Mac, from which I wirelessly stream music, using a program called Airfoil which uses Apple’s Airplay protocol, to my Apple TV and to a wireless iOS device in a speaker doc. Basically, a cheap alternative to Sonos. However, I just moved to a bigger house, and the wifi can’t reach the iOS device in the kitchen so I invested in some Powerline adaptors. I can’t stream to the iOS when it is on a WPA4220 (have no issue streaming to the Apple TV on a PA451).

I installed that Network Analyser (great tip!), and it confirms what I have observed myself, which is that some Bonjour services are supported, but others seem to get blocked. When the iOS device is connected to the Netgear router, it sees more Bonjour services than when connected to the WPA4220.
Here are the services that vanish when connected to the WPA4220:
_apple-mobdev2
[*]_atc
[*]_dacp - digital audio control protocol (iTunes)
[*]_home-sharing (iTunes)
[*]_remotefoilhttp (airfoil related?)
[*]_slipstreamrem (definitely seems to be airfoil related).

Note, I had it in my head I’d installed the latest firmware on the WPA4220 when I was originally doing my tests, but I realised I’d not yet done that. However, installing the latest firmware makes no differences to the Bonjour services that appear to be supported.

So I guess I next need to raise a TP-link support request, though it doesn’t sound like they’ll be much use.
Options
2015-06-10 10:53:08
What's the version of iOS running on your MAC? Is it up to date? How about version of iTunes?
Don't hesitate to raise a TP-link support request. :)
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2976

Replies: 19