Why purchase access point when same thing can be achieved with router?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-03-20 02:29:15
Region : Argentina

Model : TD-W8968

Hardware Version : V3

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hello,

I have recently purchased TD W8968 and using it as a Wireless router mode ( am also using the USB port , which has made my printer wifi enabled) Now this router is placed in basement (where I have my home office) , my residence is on ground floor (just above basement) This router is not able to provide good signal strength on ground floor hence I am planning to purchase another device which can be used as an access point so that I can extend range of my wireless setup.

Here is the part I am confused - When a router like TD W8968 can also be used as an access point , Should I purchase a pure access point like TL WA 801ND or should I just purchase another TD W8968 and use it as an access point? (Given that I get more robust features with W8968 compared to WA 801ND and there isn't much of a price difference.)

Thank You!
Options
2 Reply
Re:Why purchase access point when same thing can be achieved with router?
2015-03-20 11:36:04
An access point will have to connect to the root router by cable connection? Is it what you need? To extend Wi-Fi range and connect to the root router wirelessly, it will be repeater or range extender.
WA801ND has several different operation modes, which should be a better choice.
Options
Re:Why purchase access point when same thing can be achieved with router?
2015-03-23 02:08:17
Yes, I am connecting access point and router by a CAT5e cable.
Finally I decided to go with router as both cost almost the same yet router gives more functionality (in case you wish to change your setup at a later date)
Options