USB Printer Controller Crashes with Multiple Users

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-03-30 05:51:21
Region : Canada

Model : TD-W8980

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I am unable to get the TP-Link USB Printer Controller to function properly on the same PC with more than one user signed on.

Here’s the situation:

We have two computers using our recently purchased TD-W8980 ADSL Modem as a print server. Computer #1 has two Windows User Sign-ons. Computer #2 only has one. The printer we are using is a Brother DCP-7030 which I realise is not on the list of supported printers but each computer has been able to print successfully to it using the 8980 for almost two months. Each time you print from either computer you receive a pop-up window in the lower right hand corner of the screen notifying you of the print routine. Each printing is preceded by an ascending chime and ended with a descending one.

However, the problem occurs when user #2 on computer #1 signs on to the PC while user #1 is still logged on. Almost immediately, computer #1 displays the ‘blue screen of death’ forcing that PC to crash and reboot. User #2 hasn’t even tried to print anything since the crash is almost immediately after the log on. If however, user #1 logs off before user #2 logs in, everything works fine with user #2 being able to print to the DCP-7030. And, computer #2 still functions perfectly printing to the DCP-7030 using the 8980 as the print server. Reversing the sign on order of the two users produces the same result.

In checking the error logs, each crash references error # 0x8004103 which I’ve not been able to find any helpful or conclusive fixes for.

I performed a clean boot on computer #1 using the ‘msconfig’ command by disabling all the ‘Services’ and ‘Startup’ entries and then reintroduced each one one-by-one. As soon as the TP-Link USB printer controller is re-enabled in the startup list, the crashing behavior resumes immediately after the second user logs on.

I have uninstalled the USB Printer Controller and tried re-installing the one currently showing on the TP site as a download hoping it may be a later version but it is the same and produces the same result.

I purchased the 8980 to replace an older fully functioning D-Link equivalent entirely based upon its ability to act as a print server which clearly is doesn’t appear able to do in this case.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggested solutions?

Thanks
Options
5 Reply
Re:USB Printer Controller Crashes with Multiple Users
2015-03-30 13:43:52
Download the new version (140613 one) of the printer controller utility here and install it. It should work. It shows for TL-WR1043ND but it will work for TD-W8980 as well. No worries. :)
http://www.tp-link.com/en/download/TL-WR1043ND_V2.html#Utility
Options
2015-03-31 05:16:37
Thanks. I notice the link you sent shows two printer controllers. When you say to 'use the new one', I presume you mean the one from last year dated June 13, 2014 with a file size of 15.57mb, correct?

Any idea how it differs from the older smaller one also listed? Wonder why TP would still offer the older one?

While listed for the TL-WR1043ND, you say it will work with the TD-W8968. Mine is a TD-W8980. Are you suggesting it will work with the 8980 also? Do you know this from actually using it with a TD-W8980?

Lastly, are you using the newer controller on a PC with multiple users and are in fact able to switch users without logging off without the PC crashing and re-booting?

Apologies for all the additional questions but I've spent a way too much time on this issue already and am therefore somewhat gun shy in simply installing another USB Print Controller.

Appreciate your help.
Options
2015-03-31 15:20:35
I have modified the post to answer your first two questions.
As to the last one, I didn't use it with multiple users on one PC.
Options
2015-04-01 04:00:40
M Diamond,
Many many thanks! Installed 140613, have at least two users on the same PC logged in and so far no crashing when switching between users. Have switched back and forth a few times, and printed a few test pages each time. So far, so good.

One strange difference this time however; when one user is logged on and goes to print, they receive the normal pop up window in the lower right of the screen with the ascending and descending chime. Once the second user logs on and goes to print, the pop up window reads 'Server does not exist, Please make sure server is ready' and there are no chimes, but the printing works fine. Switch back to the first user and go to print and the same error message appears, again without chimes but the document prints. If you then log one user off, switch to the other user and go to print, nothing prints. If you then open the USB Printer Controller, you see that it has lost its relationship to the printer. Once you re-set the auto connect printer, the previous document still in the print queue prints this time with the 'printing in progress' window complete with chimes. VERY STRANGE!

So it appears the TP Link USB Printer Controller software is still not without its flaws but at least the crashing has stopped, at least for now. If it re-appears, I'll be sure to post again.
Options
2015-04-17 23:45:14
Another problem has now surfaced. Each time the PC is awakened from sleep mode, it loses it's relationship to the modem with a 'server does not exist' message. You click on it and are told to 'configure server.' This involves entering the modem's setup and stopping and starting the USB print server. This reestablishes the connection but then you have to again select the default printer. Having to do this every time you need to print is ridiculous.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the software a couple of times to no avail.

Does anyone have a suggested fix? Might another version of the software (a 3rd version) be more stable?

For this unit to be advertised as having print server capabilities is very misleading..
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 739

Replies: 5

Related Articles