Flashing signal strength lights - not connected to internet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-04-10 00:48:49
Region : Italy

Model :
TL-WA854RE

Hardware Version : V2

Firmware Version : V1

ISP : Alice - Telecom

Hi everyone.
I have a brand new TP-Link Archer D5 modem-router and I decided to improve its signal in some parts of the house, so I bought a range extender TL-WA854RE.

At first, I connected the two using the WPS button. All the LEDs on the range extender looked good, however I noticed that the 2.4 GHz wireless signal had disappeared for all my devices (iphone, pc etc...) and I was not able to reconnect them to the wifi anymore. I read around the forum that many people encountered this type of issue.

So I reset both modem and range extender and tried the second methodology, via wireless configuration.

I followed the whole procedure and once I finished I was happy to see that both the 2.4GHz and the 5GHz wireless where still working. However, I noticed that the signal LEDs on the range extender is flashing and it's not fixed as it should be. From here http://forum.tp-link.com/showthread.php?78237-Flashing-signal-strength-lights I discovered that this means that the extender is connected to the router but not to internet.

What should I do?

Thanks
Options
6 Reply
Re:Flashing signal strength lights - not connected to internet
2015-04-11 22:09:47
No one who can help? Please I am desperate here!!!!

Not only the extender does not work, but after I paired the two devices, internet does no work neither on the router and I need to reset both and re-configure the modem in order to have access to internet. I've already done that 3 times and it's not fun!
Options
2015-04-13 09:49:07
Hi @ETR

Here is my suggestion, which helps for most cases for my friends as I have done troubleshooting for them dozens of times..

1. Upgrade both the router and the range extender to the latest firmware. The English version on www.tp-link.com/en is always most updated. Be noticed that you should check the firmware release notes before upgrade in case of any unexpected changes.

2. log into the range extender (you know how to do that). Go through Quick Setup to set it up using mode1 (universal repeater). When Quick Setup finished, you will see the RE LED starts flashing for <2 minutes

3. Once the RE LED becomes solid on but the signal LEDs keeps flashing, you need to wait another 1 minutes for the temporary DHCP to expire. Then the rang extender and computer will renew IP address via DHCP from the router instead of the temporary DHCP from the range extender.

4. When you see both the RE LED and signal LEDs are solid on, everything will be working.
Options
2015-04-24 02:10:18
Hi Tobacco,
thank you for your reply!
I have updated the firmware of the Archer D5 router, however since the range extander is a model TL-WA854RE it does not have an Ethernet port. I read that is not safe to update the firmware wireless. Is there any other wary I can update the firmware also of the range extender?

Thank you

Options
2015-04-24 14:15:39
Place the wireless client and WA854RE next to each other to ensure a more stable connection between them.
WA854RE can only be upgraded wirelessly...
Options
2015-04-24 18:05:10

ETR wrote

Hi Tobacco,
thank you for your reply!
I have updated the firmware of the Archer D5 router, however since the range extander is a model TL-WA854RE it does not have an Ethernet port. I read that is not safe to update the firmware wireless. Is there any other wary I can update the firmware also of the range extender?

Thank you

Don't worry about wireless update. Products such as TL-WA854RE is designed to work without wire so that it is safe to perform wireless firmware upgrade with this model.:)

You can also call the Italian support hotline for guidance http://www.tp-link.it/about/?categoryid=107
Options
2015-04-24 19:46:10
Ok I will do it wireless. Thank you again. I will keep you updated!
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 923

Replies: 6