Left Antenna port of TL-WR1042ND router doesn't work.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-04-23 02:15:56
Region : Others

Model : TL-WR1042ND

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version : 3.15.7 Build 130923 Rel.55891n

ISP :

I bought the router in November 2014. It's working very well but the wifi range isn't that good as I expected. So I tried to figure out what the problem was.

I installed a wifi analysing app in my android phone & checked the wifi range in nearby area. Then when I detached both antennas, the signal dropped significantly. Then I attached 1 antenna in the right port & the signal again raised up-to 90%. Then I detached that from right port & attached it into the left port.But this time the signal didn't raised. It was less then 40%. Then I tried with the other antenna & the result was same. I restarted the router & tried again and again with any combination possible but nothing got better.

And So the final result was that the left antenna port of the router is not working. Both antennas are good. They work well when I attach them into the right port of the router. But non of them work in the left port.

Now I'm wondering if the problem is only with my router or others are affected too ?

If it is affected in many routers then there is a possibility that the problem is with firmware.

Can someone with this router please check & reply if their router has this problem or not ....
Please :)
Options
7 Reply
Re:Left Antenna port of TL-WR1042ND router doesn't work.
2015-04-24 14:35:09
http://forum.tp-link.com/showthread.php?79846-Left-port-where-antenna-is-attached-is-not-working&p=156703&viewfull=1#post156703

Check my posts in this thread, that is the answer.

Both antennas are working, but only one will broadcast the SSID.
Options
2015-04-24 14:58:51
By the way, what's your expected Wi-Fi range?
Options
2015-04-27 10:17:39
Hi
I have the exactly same results like you.
I am wondering this so much and I make a ticket to the TP-LINK to ask what is the reason.
There is the answer:
They design this product with main antenna and auxiliary antenna architecture.
The auxiliary antenna worked only when the main antenna worked.
So if you Pull out the main antenna the signals will drastically reduced.
Options
2015-04-27 21:24:54
thanks everyone for replying,
I went to customer support 3 days earlier & when I explained the problem to them they couldn't answer why this was happening or how to fix it so they offered me replacement but I didn't find that helpful as I tried one & found that other new routers also had that problem so I came back with my router.
As one antenna is working or broadcasting as Tobacco said & it's only 3dBi so I'm getting very low wifi range hardly 10 meters......
so whats the solution
What should I do to boost the signal ?
Options
2015-04-28 10:56:42

zade77 wrote

thanks everyone for replying,
I went to customer support 3 days earlier & when I explained the problem to them they couldn't answer why this was happening or how to fix it so they offered me replacement but I didn't find that helpful as I tried one & found that other new routers also had that problem so I came back with my router.
As one antenna is working or broadcasting as Tobacco said & it's only 3dBi so I'm getting very low wifi range hardly 10 meters......
so whats the solution
What should I do to boost the signal ?

You misunderstood me. I mean both antenna are functioning, but one is the master antenna while the other one is the assistant antenna. You need both antennas working concurrently and you should not detached either one of them. That is how it is designed.
Options
2015-04-28 11:26:31
Generally, running a wireless transmitter without antenna can destroy the device...
Options
2015-04-28 16:50:06

HiSpeed wrote

Generally, running a wireless transmitter without antenna can destroy the device...

@Highspeed is correct. Even if you don't like the antenna, you should not detach it from the router.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 882

Replies: 7

Related Articles