How can I tell if it's Powerline or Sky dropping/hanging my connection between

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-05-17 19:00:17
Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TL-PA511

Hardware Version : V2

Firmware Version :

ISP : Sky

I'm having problems with my internet, I get drops, it doesn't connect, page doesn't open etc. I have a Sky hub, 2 powerline adapters, one connected to the hub, another to my iMac. I've paired them, I can surf the internet but I get these hangs/drops/no connection often.

I've contacted Sky, they say all ok, my internal tests on the hub via the admin page all report ok etc. So what I want to try and confirm is it the Sky hub or actual connection from sky, of the powerline.

Thanks
Options
8 Reply
Re:How can I tell if it's Powerline or Sky dropping/hanging my connection between
2015-05-18 13:50:05
How about stauts of all lights on powerline adapters when connections drops?
Can you connect iMAC directly to your Sky hub bypassing powerline adapters to test the internet connection?
Options
Re:How can I tell if it's Powerline or Sky dropping/hanging my connection between
2015-05-18 17:31:05
I have and it was fine but as it's random then can't say that was defiantly the problem.
Options
2015-05-19 11:10:47
Umm...when the connection drops, how did you connect again? Do you have to restart your sky hub or powerline adapters?
Do you have a Windows PC? You can try to disable power-saving.
http://forum.tp-link.com/showthread....twork-adapters
Options
2015-05-19 15:49:33
As above its on an iMac. Normally after another round if shouting, it just picks up. All 3 LEDs are on the powerline as well. Sometimes I get so frustrated that I do restart the Sky hub though
Options
2015-05-20 14:19:43
I'm afraid that you have to connect to Sky hub directly bypassing powerline adapters and test for a period of time to figure out what is the problem.
No more ideas...
Options
2015-05-25 00:02:56
Use the SwitchPowerSaveTool from here and disable powersaving, that'll stop your connection dropping. Works for all TP Link models so don't worry about it being for a different model.

http://www.tp-link.us/support/download/?model=TL-PA511&version=V1

N.B The adpator being changed needs to be connected to your PC, you can't disable the powersaving feature over the network. So you'll need to swap adaptors after the first run of the tool.
Options
2015-05-25 14:17:15

Keith2o15 wrote

Use the SwitchPowerSaveTool from here and disable powersaving, that'll stop your connection dropping. Works for all TP Link models so don't worry about it being for a different model.

http://www.tp-link.us/support/download/?model=TL-PA511&version=V1

N.B The adpator being changed needs to be connected to your PC, you can't disable the powersaving feature over the network. So you'll need to swap adaptors after the first run of the tool.

But the tool cannot be installed on iMAC...
Options
2015-05-26 16:01:01

Vivian wrote

But the tool cannot be installed on iMAC...

Install it on a friends PC/Laptop and do it.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1284

Replies: 8