LAN routing on TD-W8970

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

LAN routing on TD-W8970

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
LAN routing on TD-W8970
LAN routing on TD-W8970
2015-07-02 06:23:30
Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TL-WR1043ND

Hardware Version : V3

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Please can someone offer a pointer - I suspect I'm missing some important configuration step.

I have recently replaced a legacy router with a new TP-link one. Almost everything went smoothly, but one snag remains.

I have PC (A) connected to the TP-Link router (by Ethernet) and it communicates fine with the Internet (over the WAN interface).

I have another device (B), also connected by Ethernet - and it also communicates fine with the internet (over the WAN interface).

I found the MAC address for B in "DHCP Server/Clients List" - and reserved the allocated IP address (192.168.0.2 - as I've configured the router as 192.168.0.1 with subnet mask 255.255.255.0 - just like my old router.) I also "Bound" the MAC and IP address (though I'm unclear about why this should be necessary once I've reserved the IP address for DHCP.)

When I try to connect to services on 192.168.0.2, which "just worked" with my old router, I get the error message: "Unable to connect to remote host: No route to host".

What additional configuration do I need to make to allow one Ethernet connected device to open TCP connections to another Ethernet connected device?
Options
3 Reply
Re:LAN routing on TD-W8970
2015-07-02 10:45:16
On your PC, can you ping 192.168.0.2 successfully?
Check anti-virus software and firewall settings.
Options
2015-07-02 15:14:15

M Diamond wrote

On your PC, can you ping 192.168.0.2 successfully?
Check anti-virus software and firewall settings.

No, I can't ping 192.168.0.2 from 192.168.0.3 (the PC) - 100% packet loss - I can ping other devices connected to the TP-Link router. (I'm not 100% sure I could ever ping the device at 192.168.0.2.

Perhaps I should mention, the device attached at 192.168.0.2 is a (Linksys) router... the Linksys router maps selected ports to services running on hosts on that LAN. The Linksys network can ping (and connect to) both the TP-Link network and the internet. I have been able to map a port from the public-facing Internet IP to the LinkSys -- which, in turn, maps that port to a server on the Linksys LAN. I've not managed to access similar services from the TP-Link LAN. This 'all worked' recently, the only change has been to switch out a legacy ADSL router, and switch-in the TP-Link one... so, I'm fairly sure, I don't have a problem with bad firewall or virus settings - unless these are settings on the TP-Link itself. I guess it is possible that the TP-Link is less forgiving about some aspect of the configuration of the Linksys - but I'm at a loss as to what that might be - especially as I can access services on the Linksys LAN from the internet - when the ports are mapped on the TP-Link to allow this. I just can't access services on the Linksys LAN from the TP-Link LAN.

The PC runs vanilla Linux - no firewall - and the Linksys router has not been re-configured (though it has been restarted, several times, to ensure it has DHCP-ed to the TP-Link.)
Options
2015-07-02 15:24:59
Apologies... Very peculiar...

After waiting a while, everything started working - exactly as I'd expected it would. I'm still at a loss as to the odd behaviour - I made no configuration changes. My only hunch is that the Linksys may have cached the MAC address for the old router - or something like that, and - eventually - the cache expired.

Anyhow - the problem has disappeared, almost as mysteriously as it appeared. :-S
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 559

Replies: 3

Related Articles