Archer D9 - DHCP not working

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer D9 - DHCP not working

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
31 Reply
Re:Archer D9 - DHCP not working
2015-07-14 21:20:21

M Diamond wrote

@bigdog989 Firmware of your D7 is up to date? Provide the topology. Besides, does it also happen on wired clients or other wireless clients except the apple device?

Firmware version:0.9.1 0.12 v002d.0 Build 150514 Rel.33266n <--- as far as i know it is the latest

basically everything connects to my D7 via either WIFI (2.4ghz or 5ghz) or gigabit. and DHCP is meant to hand out addresses 192.168.1.100+ on the standard 255.255.255.0 subnet

I was under the belief originally that other devices were receiving invalid IP's as well but haven't been apple to replicate that today. I do know that when my phone does have the wrong ip weird stuff starts to happen on the network

I dont see how anything isp side would effect the lan assigning addresses.

It is super weird but then again it seems that all the people having problems are using telstra...

If you are having this problem, especially if you have an iphone on your network and it has that vi.bigpond.net.au line in the network setting, fix the ip setting to something reasonable, restart the router and see if that helps, it seems to stop my problems for now
Options
2015-07-15 16:25:35

M Diamond wrote

@bigdog989 Firmware of your D7 is up to date? Provide the topology. Besides, does it also happen on wired clients or other wireless clients except the apple device?

@xzeeno Your model is D7 or D9? Firmware version? ISP? What's the IP address obtained on clients when DHCP isn't working properly?

Hi Diamond

Archer D9 ( Firmware Version:0.9.1 0.1 v0041.0 Build 150514 Rel.54055n) latest fw
Changed ISP recently and still was having same issues, highly doubt a WAN would be affecting LAN setup. So far DHCP is all default (Unit IP :192.168.1.1 & gateway, dns and dhcp all route to same address) Also have disconnected my TPLink w8980 (through WDS - also latest fw) to try remove any variables that could be causing issues, didnt resolve anything..

The DHCP seems to allocate an ip to clients, but my router isnt picking up the clients in its client list.
Issues:
- My DHCP isnt really having an allocation problem, but just doesnt show the clients in its list;
- and also seem to do a full round-robin search when Windows is looking for active computers, instead of just initially sending a query to DHCP for a list.
- my pppoa wan doesnt show in interface grouping (used to do it on w8980)

Also ipv6 is in RAD. (Do you think there's a possibility of dhcp is having ip version clashes over mac addresses?)
Options
2015-07-15 20:17:26
So I manually configured the connection through the D9 to an IPoE setup. Absolutely no difference as far as I can tell. If I am reading right PPPoE has a log in set up where each connection to the ISP is a new session, therefore all of the dhcp is handled on the D9 side of things rather than ISP. The IPoE is an "Always on" connection and you dont need to log into it. as soon as you plug in there is a quick authentication and away you go.
Could it be then that because the IPoE connection is an always on the D9 is letting the ISP dictate what are and arenbt valid IPs? ie they all have their own pathways through the connection as opposed to being channeled and sent through the old PPOE authenticated pathway
I am going to try Telstra again tomorrow and see what they can tell me. Also if the IPoE doesnt need a log in, would it not then need to authenticate with the hardware on the other end (ie the D9) to ensure that someone hasnt run a tapin from your telstra line?Could the issue be that the Telstra ISP server isnt communicating well with the D9 as we are supposed to be using the supplied hardware?
no idea
Options
2015-07-16 11:35:08

xzeeno wrote

Hi Diamond

Archer D9 ( Firmware Version:0.9.1 0.1 v0041.0 Build 150514 Rel.54055n) latest fw
Changed ISP recently and still was having same issues, highly doubt a WAN would be affecting LAN setup. So far DHCP is all default (Unit IP :192.168.1.1 & gateway, dns and dhcp all route to same address) Also have disconnected my TPLink w8980 (through WDS - also latest fw) to try remove any variables that could be causing issues, didnt resolve anything..

The DHCP seems to allocate an ip to clients, but my router isnt picking up the clients in its client list.
Issues:
- My DHCP isnt really having an allocation problem, but just doesnt show the clients in its list;
- and also seem to do a full round-robin search when Windows is looking for active computers, instead of just initially sending a query to DHCP for a list.
- my
pppoa wan doesnt show in interface grouping (used to do it on w8980)
Also ipv6 is in RAD. (Do you think there's a possibility of dhcp is having ip version clashes over mac addresses?)

What's your old ISP and new ISP? The connection type should be selected according to ISP info...
I think you can submit a ticket to report the problem to their support team.
http://ticket.tp-link.com/index.php?/Tickets/Submit
Options
Update
2015-07-24 09:42:57
Just to provide an update, I have endured ISP tech support help with no solution to the problem. I have also been through TP-Link support and after troubleshooting and review of the logs they have stated it's a LAN issue, not ISP but can't be more specific. I have been given a return order to get it replaced under warranty which I am taking care of at the seller today.
I will update with anything I find out as I hate searching for these issues and they never seem to have the resolution.

Dan

UPDATE UPDATE

MSY replaced on the spot, have set up the new D9, still having some issues with it. Have set up profiles under all types of authentication and PPPoA seems the most stable at the moment.
Options
2015-07-27 12:50:31
Thanks for the update Dan!

So are you with Telstra Bigpond as well?
I'm still going through the TP-Link support and haven't reached the stage when they allow me a replacement yet.
Was there any improvement at all with the replaced unit?
Options
2015-07-31 19:24:11
After setting up the PPPoA manually I have had absolutely no issues of drop outs. I havn't been bothered to go back through reserved addresses and the like yet which would also show if the issue is resolved. Yes with Telstra Bigpond. I would have to imagine the timing and similar details in all cases mean that Telstra has upgraded or modified either protocols or hardware/firmware in certain exchanges. This change, for whatever reason, causes internal issues with the D9 unless it is set up under PPPoA. I would suggest trying that first
Options
2015-08-03 10:06:40
Thanks Dan

Could you please give a little more detail about how you manually set it up as PPPoA? Cheers.
Options
Resolution to DHCP problem coming?
2015-09-06 04:36:35
I have also had the DHCP problem, connected to Bigpond via the Elsternwick Exchange.My troubles started around 1 September.WiFi and wired connections were affected.I upgraded to the firmware of 14/05/15 with little improvement.I have swapped out my Archer D9 for my old Billion modem and everything is working fine again.TP-Link, is there a fix in the works?Do you know what Telstra is changing in its ADSL network that is causing this problem?
Options
2015-09-07 00:29:40
exactly same issue with other product TD-VG3631
fw version: 0.6.0 1.1 v0001.0 Build 150505 Rel.39381n
also isp is Telstra
Options
Related Articles