W8980 dropping wireless connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-07-07 19:56:01
I bought one of these units a bit over two weeks ago. Quick and easy to get setup, but I've been plagued with wifi dropouts. Only for a few seconds and devices reconnect quickly. It's annoying that this is happening, and with a high school student and two uni students in the house, far from ideal for their study.

I've locked down everything I can - channel hard set, channel widths hard set, only supporting 'n' after upgrading a 'g' client bridge....all to no avail.

I've also noticed that 5Ghz band seems fine (I only have a couple of devices on it), but problems seem to be on the 2.4 frequency (which happens to be where most of the devices are).

Is this a common problem? Can I get the unit replaced under warranty through my reseller?

Thanks.
M
Options
2 Reply
Re:W8980 dropping wireless connection
2015-07-09 14:14:17
Firmware is up to date?
Did you try to disable UPnP under Forwarding on its web page?
How many clients are connected in total?
Options
Re:W8980 dropping wireless connection
2015-07-10 14:41:55
Yep, Firmware was updated before I connected any clients.

I've now disabled uPnP (I hadn't configured any forwarding, so hadn't given this a thought).

Number of devices can average up to 12 devices, including TVs, PVRs, phones, etc. Most devices aren't really pulling a lot of bandwidth (unless streaming a movie from Foxtel, Netlfix, etc). I've never had this problem with any other brand of router.

I spoke to TP-Link on the phone the other day, and there was nothing they offered that was a fix. I'll try the uPnP setting to see how it goes.

Worst case is I send it back via the retailer and plug an old unit in while the other one is away.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 282

Replies: 2

Related Articles