How MR3420 knows that WAN is not accessible for failover to 3G?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-07-14 17:21:07
Region : Finland

Model : TL-MR3420

Hardware Version : V2

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hello,
Does anyone knows how MR3420 detects that WAN no more accessible for internet connection and it is time to route traffic via 3G modem?

I intend to buy MR3420 to solve my internet connection problem. I'm connected via wirelesses AIRmax technology by AirGrid M5 antenna with static IP address and sometimes wireless connection is not stable. When connection is lost I can still ping from PC to old router (D-link DIR300N) WAN IP address, but cannot ping remote Gateway IP address. And hope that MR3420 would track remote GW address as WAN physical link stays UP while internet connection is lost. By "WAN physical link" I mean RJ45 cable from router to PoE addapter witch provides power to active antenna. Antenna itself does not have IP address. Connection usually is lost for 30-60s.

How do you think, would be able the MR3420 detect such kind of WAN failure and switchover to 3G modem?
How fast switchover would work (how long router waits for WAN access and how long 3G setup initializes)? If whole switchover takes ~30s, then it is not a solution for me.

Thank you for your answers.
Options
2 Reply
Re:How MR3420 knows that WAN is not accessible for failover to 3G?
2015-07-16 10:20:42
WAN Preferred
In this mode, the router will try WAN access first;
When the WAN access fails, and 3G/4G access is valid, the router would switch to 3G/4G access;
When the router succeeds to connect to the WAN network, the router would stop the 3G/4G connection and switch back to WAN access immediately.

By "WAN physical link" I mean RJ45 cable from router to PoE addapter witch provides power to active antenna.
Can you provide a topology? WAN connection should be connection between DSL/cable modem and WAN port of MR3420.
Options
Re:How MR3420 knows that WAN is not accessible for failover to 3G?
2015-07-16 13:53:24
The topology:
PC <--(RJ45)--> (LAN port) MR3420 with USB 3G modem (WAN port) <--(RJ45)--> Power over Ethernet adapter <--(RJ45+power)--> AirGrid M5 antenna <==(Radio)==> AirGrid Base station -> Internet provider infrastructure.

My question is how MR3420 knows that WAN is not accessible while Static IP is configured on WAN interface and WAN port is UP. Only gateway IP (Base station IP) is not reachable.
I believe that radio loss would not be detected by MR3420 and the connection would not be switched to 3G modem. Is it right?

Could be the solution to eliminate the PoE adapter from the topology?
By the way PoE adapter and Antenna is provided by provider and I don't have rights to change setup.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 914

Replies: 2