[Archer D5] IPv6 problem with Android

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-08-01 18:56:36
Region: Portugal
Model: Archer D5
Hardware Version: v1
Firmware Version: 0.9.1 0.8 v002e.0 Build 150526 Rel.63088n (latest)
ISP: ADSL via MEO / Portugal Telecom (PT) / Sapo / Telepac (Many names, but they are the same company)

Hello,

I was making some tests with IPv6 on my router, so I could learn more about it: how it works and it is implemented.
It all went smooth on my laptop running Windows 8.1 x64.
In the end I switched it off, and returned full to IPv4.

Later on that day, I turned on my main LG G2 Android device (running Android 5.0.2) and noticed I had not internet access.
I cleaned the cache, forget the network and even reflashed the firmware on my phone. None of this worked.

I noticed that, even with IPv6 completely disabled and only running on IPv4 the phone continued to have two IP addresses: one IPv4 (192.168.x.x) and another on IPv6 (fe80::bef5:x:x:x).
I saw this on Settings under Wifi options.

As I searched I saw that Android has many difficulties dealing with IPv6, and DHCPv6 is not supported by Google's decision.
But I disabled IPv6 all together on the router.

I test this and all of my Android devices suffer from this: LG L65 running on Android 4.4.2 and OnePlus One running on 5.0.2.

Then I restore the router to factory default. And all return to work.
But when I changed the IP Address of the router from 192.168.1.1 (default one) to 192.168.2.1 I would lose internet connection on Android devices.
Before messing around with the IPv6 I already was on 192.168.2.1 IP Address.

If I change the DNS server from 0.0.0.0 to anything else, like a local ISP's one, I lose internet connection on Android devices.

How can I solve this?
How should I disable IPv6 all together?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards.
Options
6 Reply
Re:[Archer D5] IPv6 problem with Android
2015-08-04 16:25:54
Your ISP doesn't provide IPv6 service and there is no IPv6 IP address on web interface of D5?
Update your andorid devices to latest version.
Options
2015-08-04 16:31:35

M Diamond wrote

Your ISP doesn't provide IPv6 service and there is no IPv6 IP address on web interface of D5?
Update your andorid devices to latest version.

My ISP already provides IPv6 support.
But, the router modem never got IPv6 on the WAN. I do not know why.

My Android devices are on the latest version available for them.
LG G2 and OnePlus One will shortly (one to two months) receive updates to 5.1.1, but the LG L65, as a budget smartphone, will never see an update to its OS.

Now, by resetting the router to factory default, I was able to connect to the internet on all the devices. I am now full on IPv4.
But if I change the DNS servers I get no internet on either device.
What can be the cause?
The DNS server does not support IPv6?
Options
2015-08-06 13:30:14
What kinds of DNS server did you try to change? Why do you have to change it?
Options
2015-08-06 18:21:57

Mavis wrote

What kinds of DNS server did you try to change? Why do you have to change it?

I tried the following DNS servers:
primary: 194.65.14.27
secondary:212.55.154.174

I entered these DNS servers because they have better delivery when opening websites, and this is important as my internet connection is slow (@1,7Mbps with a ping of 38ms).

I would like to understand why these DNS servers do work on my computer and do not work on my Android devices, and even on Apple devices?
Options
2015-08-07 16:42:02
Did you try to configure DNS server on Android devices instead of router page?
Options
2015-08-07 16:55:15

Mavis wrote

Did you try to configure DNS server on Android devices instead of router page?

Had no idea that was possible.
Thank you!

Found this tutorial:
https://support.opendns.com/entries/42848890-Android-Configuration-instructions-for-OpenDNS

So, it is safe to assume that I was not having internet access because of DNS configurations still remaining on Wi-fi settings.
In order to change DNS on the router, I need to reconfigure the networks on all my phones or simply forget the network and reconnect them all again.
Am I right?
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1418

Replies: 6