VR900 disconnecting from internet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-08-08 21:33:26
Model :

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Just bought the TP-Link VR900 router 4 days ago and am having the following problems

CANNOT find a user manual for this router. There are terms used in set-up that I do not uderstand [it has been about 3-4 years since I last set up a router]. Supplied insturction leaflet as much use as a wet paper bag.

Main problem is that after a period of non-use {no surfing and a few hours idleness] the router disconnects from the internet. All it takes is to turn off the router and then straight back on again to recover web connection but this is a hassle as router is position upstairs out of the way [In same place that I have always had my [previous] router[s] sitting. There is a good airflow round the router. New cables used when setting things up.

As long as I am browsing the internet or searching my NAS the connection seems to be stable [at least I have not been cut of mid-use. Is there a setting somewhere in set-up that would keep the router live 24\7?
Options
7 Reply
Re:VR900 disconnecting from internet
2015-08-10 13:43:50
Go to Advanced---Network---Internet. Edit the connection which is working in the table.
Check the Connection Mode and ensure it is Always On.

If it is correct but the router still disconnects from the internet, check Internet and DSL section on Status page. Provides screenshots pls.
Options
2015-08-10 17:06:59
Thank for the reply.

Always on set to on
Rest the idle time from 15 minutes to 0.

Here is the DSL snapshot.

I will try these for a couple of days to see if connection remains live. I wil get back to you and let you know eihter way.
ErnieK
Options
2015-08-11 11:43:02
Hi Ermiek, check Internet and DSL section on Status page if the problem continues.
I'm not asking for screenshot of DSL Settings page...lol
Options
2015-08-11 16:12:57
OOPs! sorry. Thats's what I get for rushing. Still disconnecting.

Will post [correct] screenshots later today when I come back in. Just had BT and ISP [Eclipse] check line etc and no faults showing with either of them.
Options
2015-08-14 18:38:13
Solved [hopefully]

After full hardware checks - changing cables and telephone sockets etc plus getting BT to check my phone line I studied the logs and eventually it dawned on me that the error dates were showing as follows:
"1970-01-1 00-00-42" or in other words the first of January 1970.

I then contacted my ISP a second time and they checked thier logs against BT's were showing differnt results. The ISP logs showed over 100 line drops since beginning of August. So problem must have been there before the purchase of the VR900 but line was reconnecting automatically for majority of these and only became obvious witht the installation of the VR900. They also had never heard of a new router showing a date that was over 45 years out of date and this was after setting the date using both choices [PC date and Internet time]. Then for no obvious reason the date set correctly after running with the 1970 date for over 1 week. None of us could figure out why this happened, anybody any ideas? After the correct date started to show in the logs I continued to get dropped connections.

My ISP then did a few more tweaks\fixes at thier end yesterday. Since then there has no been a dropped line.

So the issue resolved and everything OK at the moment. But if anyone has any possible ideas as to the 1970 date please let me know.

Once again thank you for your input and help.
Options
1970-01-1 00-00-42 error
2015-09-25 17:36:51
Hi Ive just purchased this router and really like it, but i too am having the same issue at certain times of the day the 1970-01-1 00-00-42 log occurs, ive contacted BT my ISP and they say everything is ok there end, but i have no idea if they have tested or not. Does anyone else have this issue or has a fix for the issue? the original BT hub works ok so i am not sure its just the ISP.
Nigel
Options
2015-10-05 21:23:07
I purchased Archer D9 last week and that also has the 1970 date. I only just noticed it in the System Log after updating the firmware. Strange!!
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 946

Replies: 7