Archer VR900 random error "Please try to configure your DNS manually."

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer VR900 random error "Please try to configure your DNS manually."

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
107 Reply
Re:Archer VR900 random error "Please try to configure your DNS manually."
2020-03-04 09:32:54

@Kevin_Z 

1. The LED status of the TP-Link router, especially the internet led. 

all lights on

2. The screenshot of the Basic-network page where you can see the error message. 

Will take a screenshot next time I get a disconnect.

The Basic tab shows Line Status: Disconnected, followed by  the infamous "Please try to configure your DNS manually."

3. How can you recover the network connection? Like reboot it manually or it will work within a few seconds/minutes automatically.

Sometimes it reconnects by itself. When it takes too long, I try several things: sometimes disconnecting and reconnecting from Advanced>Internet>Operation is enough, sometimes I have to reboot, sometimes I have to reboot several times.

4. Please show us the full screenshot of the Advanced-status page. Especially the DSL status.

The Advance-status page does not show a disconnect.

Also the ISP does not see the disconnection from their side. It is as if the VR900 Basic-settings believes it is disconnected for some reason while it is not...

Also this seems to happen when the upload bandwidth is saturated i.e. while uploading a file, or when downloading iOS app updates (according to the ISP this last action also saturates the upload bandwidth).

5. Who is your ISP and what is the bandwidth you paid? Please tell us the current hardware and firmware version of your router, as well as its country version which you can find on the back of the actual device, next to the model number. 

ISP: https://cyberia.net.lb/

I have a DSL Unlimited (quota) plan, 6Mbps/down 1Mbps/up

Hardware Version: Archer VR900 v3 (EU)

Firmware Version: 0.2.0 0.9.1 v0069.0 Build 170303 Rel.59897n

Options
2020-03-05 21:07:11

@Kevin_Z  

Hi all. Any chance of getting the beta firmware please? Suffering the same issues as in other messages. Advanced Tab showing stable connection but frequent failures to browse the internet - seems like DNS stops working. (Existing downloads for example continue but can't resolve other sites.)

I'm in the UK and the ISP is Plusnet. Have spoken to them and they confirm no dropped connections from their side.

Firmware Version:0.2.0 0.9.1 v0069.0 Build 170303 Rel.59897n Hardware Version:Archer VR900 v3 00000000

If there's anyone on here who already has the firmware, any chance of getting it off one of you kind souls?

Thanks

Options
2020-03-07 14:07:09

@Kevin_Z 

Experiencing the same problem.

1.) White LED

2.)

3.) Wait this out for a few mins; it seems to 'self recover'., IP address remains the same

4.)

5.) ISP provider - Sky - See above screenshot for bandwidth,  hardware and firmware version of router, EU (country/region) version

As someone else has mentioned, it also seems to occur when the connection is being saturated or being used to the max; e.g downloading or uploading.

For example, downloading a 100+ Megabyte file, and then attempting to browse webpages, browser reports of unable to resolve webpages or it will take several seconds for webpages to load. This is using the same device, with an ethernet cable that is connected directly to the dsl/router modem.

Options
2020-03-07 14:16:14 - last edited 2020-03-07 14:20:04

Also as an add; I use 1.1.1.1, 1.0.0.1 at both the internal network level (LAN settings) and in the Internet Connection Setup level (Advanced), are these the settings that are making the difference!?

Options
Re:Archer VR900 random error "Please try to configure your DNS manually."-Solution
2020-03-12 03:43:51 - last edited 2020-03-12 03:44:18

@4x3.2x9 @Noufi @Mike3W 

Hello all, 

Regarding the unstable connection issue of  Archer VR900 V3(EU),  please download and upgrade the beta firmware below.

https://static.tp-link.com/2019/201912/20191218/Archer VR900(EU)V3.zip

You can get more help about how to update the firmware by manually from the FAQ:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2189/

Please feel free to connect us for further help if you have any problems!

Have a good day!

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-03-13 01:42:03 - last edited 2020-03-13 01:43:00

@Stella.Q 

Thanks for the reply and sharing the hyperlink with the Beta firmware for the TP-Link VR900 EU model!

I don't think I will apply the Beta firmware just yet! 

The router has been stable so far, 21 days and counting, plus am monitoring the connection/router, also conscious of the Dynamic Line Management system at the Telecoms side of things, changing the profile of the existing line, if it detects the router/modem has been powered off again.

Also as a scenario, if the Beta software is applied and makes things worse or unstable, is it possible to rollback?

Options
2020-03-13 06:52:36

@4x3.2x9 

You are welcome!

Glad to hear your router is working properly now. 

And yes, if you don't want to use the beta firmware for some reason, you can rollback to the original firmware.

Options
2020-03-13 14:39:42

As an observation and an add; when the message, "Please try to configure your DNS manually" occurs, the traffic monitor displays a small peak in the upload, sent, but almost zero kilobytes, on the received, for about 2 minutes as described in my earlier post.

Options
2020-03-13 15:59:37

@4x3.2x9

exactly the same here, packets are sent but nothing is received

whatever, beta firmware or custom firmware, nothing works with my ISP

Options
2020-03-14 18:23:10
I'm experiencing the same problem but with the VR600 model. Do you have a fix for that too? Really frustrating as I just set this up last week as a replacement for what turned out to be an unstable router from another brand.
Options
Related Articles