TD-W9980 - 2.4 GHz wireless keeps dropping its connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-09-29 18:07:01
Model :

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help me with an issue I've been having ever since I first bought and configured my TD-W9980 router.

For some reason, the 2.4GHz wi-fi connection regularly drops/disconnects. This can usually happen after only about 5 minutes of connectivity, and seems to occur more regularly if you're doing something like surfing on a tablet or streaming TV over wi-fi

The 5GHz wireless is pretty rock solid and very rarely gives me any issues, but not all of my devices are able to see this connection option. That and it seems a bit defeatist to have a dual wi-fi capable device, and to then route everything through one connection!

As part of my own troubleshooting I have tried both fixing the channel and changing the mode to 11n only, neither option has made any improvement.

I can confirm that I am using the latest firmware version as I installed this the first day I set it all up

Thanks in advance
Options
7 Reply
Re:TD-W9980 - 2.4 GHz wireless keeps dropping its connection
2015-09-29 20:38:51
There are so many resons that cause Wi-Fi connection drop.
1.WiFi Interference with Cordless Phone,Bluetooth devices,microwave and door openers.
2.Overloading and Overheating or W9980.
3.Interference with your neighbours Wi-Fi.

Changing Channel and channel Width can be useful.Refer this for more
http://www.tp-link.com/en/faq-722.html
Options
2015-09-30 17:11:10
But not all of my devices are able to see this connection option.
You can detect a 5GHz network unless your device is installed with a 5GHz adapter.

How many devices do you connect in a same time? Since the bandwidth of your link is finitude, overload will cause some of the device off drop.
Besides, some electric equipment nearby cause the same problem.
[COLOR=#333333]
Options
2015-09-30 18:15:43
Many thanks for the updates

Re. how many devices - max at any one time would be 2 mobile phones, 2 tablets and either XBONE or streaming to TV, but that is max and is rarely the common scenario. This has not changed from when I upgraded from my old TalkTalk router, which seemed to cope ok.

Thanks for the KB link, I have made a couple of changes and will see how things go
Options
WIFI drops out for a minute
2017-08-04 03:16:45
Hi.
I have a similar experience as described here.
I am using TD-W9980 with hadware V1 / firmware build 150507 as I am a TalkTalk ISP user

Basically, my phone, tablet or laptop will see Wi-Fi drop, causing things like web pages to fail, or my employer's VPN to drop out.
In an extreme case, my wife managed to use up a month's data in one go using her mobile phone because she hadn't noticed the wifi had dropped, and the phone had not reconnected whilst she was streaming some videos.

Are there any changes I can make to the router's settings to prevent the wifi from dropping?

With regards to the number of devices, we will have 3 phones, 1 tablet and occasionally a laptop will be seeking to use Wi-Fi at my home, so should be within the capabilities of this device.

Any and all help appreciated.

Good Batiatus
Options
2017-08-04 10:13:42
First, you may try connect a computer to the TD-W9980 via ethernet cable and check whether that connection is stable. If that connection is stable, we will know it is wifi issue. If wired connection also drops, that would be another case.
If we decide that the issue only happens with wifi, you may change wifi channel and channelwidth. You can download an app called Wi-Fi Analyzer to check the channels around and find a least-used channel to avoid interference.
Options
WiFI drops out
2017-08-04 19:35:09
Hi VieldCS

Thanks for replying.
My desktop, TV and entertainment box are all connected via LAN with no issue.
I notices yesterday that 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz both have channels set to AUTO.

I will try the WIFI Analyzer to pick the best channels, and will see if there is an improvement.

Oddly, before the firmware was upgraded to support TalkTAlk, the issue I had was with LAN speeds going slow - WiFi was fine !

Regards
GB
Options
Wi fi connection dropping
2017-08-05 00:47:08
Hi good_batiatus

In my case it was only 2.4 which would drop the connection, the 5ghz was pretty rock solid but not all my devices could see it.

I tried various different options regarding the channels etc but the result was always the same, in the end I raised this with TP-Link tech support and was able to get my router replaced. The replacement has been much better :)

btw I also use TalkTalk, but the ISP should be irrelevant if only wi-fi is dropping

Regards

Mike

[COLOR=#3E3E3E]
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 6360

Replies: 7

Related Articles