Issue with new Archer VR900 with TalkTalk fibre

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-12-31 22:38:56
Model :

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi,

I have just received my new Archer VR900 this morning, and I'm having issues getting my connection working properly through it.

I have a fibre connection through TalkTalk, and so initially I simply picked "TalkTalk_VDSL" from the list on the quick setup page.

I do get connected, get an IP, can see the rate that I'm synched at (which is about the same as what I get through the ISP router) etc. etc. and from a PC on my network I can ping via DNS names, ie. I can ping google.co.uk just fine. The problem is that on any of my PCs or Android devices, I cannot browse to most sites that I have tried. For example, I cannot browse to google.co.uk, but can browse to bing.com. Also, the sites that I am able to browse to are extremely slow to load.

My initial thinking was a DNS issue, but I am able to ping even the sites that are not loading in a browser at all. I have tried ipconfig /flushdns which makes no difference.

I have updated the router to the latest firmware (151210).

I have tried different browsers, same issue in Chrome, Edge and IE.

My internet settings are default, no proxy settings.

I've tried using a static IP on my PC, and also using DHCP from the VR900, both with the same issue.

I've tried setting primary DNS to 8.8.8.8 (google DNS), same issue.

I have tried the above on 2 different Windows 10 PCs, and have had issues browsing on 3 Android devices.

If I unplug the VR900 and put my ISP router back in everything works fine on all PCs and Android devices. I can ping, browse, sites load quickly etc. etc.

If the issue was only happening on one PC/device then I would say that the issue would be there, considering the router does connect and I am able to ping remote sites by DNS name. But the fact that I have this on multiple PCs and devices, and that everything is fine through the ISP router, makes me think that it is the VR900 that's the problem.

Has anyone seen this behaviour? Does anyone else use this router with TalkTalk fibre?

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Chris
Options
2 Reply
Re:Issue with new Archer VR900 with TalkTalk fibre
2016-01-01 22:46:23
Can you show me Status and DHCP Settings tabs from TP-link?
Options
Re:Issue with new Archer VR900 with TalkTalk fibre
2016-01-05 21:14:37
Hi, thanks for replying.

I have only just had time to look into this again. After some more troubleshooting I found that lowering the MTU to 1496 (from the usual 1500) solved the issue for me, so I am now up and running.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 501

Replies: 2

Related Articles