TD-W8961N Block Port 53 for OpenDNS

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2016-01-20 11:30:03
Model :

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Model : TD-W8961N

Hardware Version : V1 ?

Firmware Version : Build 141023 Rel.24209

Apologies if this question is answered elsewhere but I could not find any such answer :eek:

I have a customer with this modem TD-W8961N that wants to use OpenDNS. I'd like to set up the network so that port 53 for DNS is accepted only by the internal Windows DNS server which has forwarders to use OpenDNS. I understand to stop any clients bypassing the DNS settings, setting up a rule on the firewall to block port 53 (except for the server) is a simple means of doing this.

The TD-W8961N has a Filter section under the Access Management tab which is what I think I need. But I am not familiar with how to configure it correctly for my purpose or if it is what I need. It is in a production environment currently and I dont want to play with settings until I have some direction.

I think I need 2 rules. The first for all local IPs except the server, and set to "next" for the unmatched rule. The next rule is then for the IP of the server and to "forward". But I'm not sure how to write the IP as a range if possible. Seems like maybe it isnt capable of my needs?

Can this TD-W8961N do what I need or is it too basic and I should recommend an upgraded device?
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 580

Replies: 0

Related Articles