TL-MR6400 blocks HTTPS internet connections

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2016-01-29 02:34:42
Model :

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP :

My 4G router is doing strange things to secure connections - sites with HTTPS. With a strong 4G signal available most websites load really quickly.
Any site which is HTTPS starts to load - then times out with "the connection was reset".

This happens on any browser on any PC connected through the router whether ethernet or wirelessly connected
Pc's have been rebooted caches cleared etc etc.
A good example of this is gumtree.com

Diagnostic tests ping these sites ok.
Date and time settings are ok

As a further test I removed the SIM card and put it a mobile dongle and immediately all sites load perfectly, so clearly the router is the issue.
It is set up straight out of the box, with no additional controls enabled, and I cannot find any setting which would affect the connections.

Your assistance would be much appreciated!!!
Options
5 Reply
Re:TL-MR6400 blocks HTTPS internet connections
2016-03-10 08:39:27

hunterlees wrote

My 4G router is doing strange things to secure connections - sites with HTTPS. With a strong 4G signal available most websites load really quickly.
Any site which is HTTPS starts to load - then times out with "the connection was reset".

This happens on any browser on any PC connected through the router whether ethernet or wirelessly connected
Pc's have been rebooted caches cleared etc etc.
A good example of this is gumtree.com

Diagnostic tests ping these sites ok.
Date and time settings are ok

As a further test I removed the SIM card and put it a mobile dongle and immediately all sites load perfectly, so clearly the router is the issue.
It is set up straight out of the box, with no additional controls enabled, and I cannot find any setting which would affect the connections.

Your assistance would be much appreciated!!!

This problem has been identified on the MR200 4G router too. It seems that HTTPS packets are scattered and therefore the authentication won't work and the connection is shut down. There's no known fix as far as I'm aware - it's down to TP Link's abysmal firmware.
Options
2016-03-30 15:37:48
Do you think it's related with MTU settings?
If yes,I think tplink should add MTU settings in the management page.
Maybe change to lower MTU could solve the problem.

Beside,is other SIM card have the same issue on MR6400?
If other SIM card don't have the problem,maybe it's related with ISP settings.
Options
2016-03-31 18:06:15
The ability to change the MTU settings might help, but the firmware is lacking in several areas.

It's not related to the carrier / ISP as the SIM deals with HTTPS transfers well in other devices.
Options
2016-06-23 18:31:05
Hi All

The two posts above this are pretty much the correct answer to fixing this problem, I will post instructions below on what i tried to see if it worked and it now works fine. It does seem a stupid way of fixing things but there is no settings for MTU when using the router in 3g/4g mode, so i tried the below method and it does indeed work, it seems that when you change the MTU settings when in standard router mode then this affects the MTU settings also when you are running in 3g/4g router mode..

1: Login to your router at 192.168.1.1
2: Click on working mode on the menu on the left and change to standard wireless router. Let the router reboot and confirm it is now in standard wireless router mode.
3: Log back into the router and navigate to where you can change the MTU settings, Network->WAN and scroll down to MTU settings.
4: My MTU settings where set to 1500, all i did was change the number randomly to 800, just to test if this would fix the problem, then click save etc.
5: If the router has to reboot then do so, then log back in and go to working mode again and change back to 3g/4g router mode, click save and reboot.
6: The router should now stop blocking connections and all should be fine, if it isnt then the 800 number entered is either to high or to low, instructions to find your ideal MTU settings are below.

Now i know 800 is just a guess, and as it worked i have tested the router on all connections for 12+ hours and it works fine, i am going to find what my ideal MTU settings are shortly so i can change from 800 and then i should have my optimal MTU settings with no dropped or blocked connections.

To find you ideal MTU settings to enter in the router just follow this guide.

http://www.tp-link.us/FAQ-190.html

TP Link guide is easy to follow, but there are plenty more guides on finding your ideal MTU settings.

Also this will probably work for the Archer MR200 router, but i don't guarantee this as i don't have one of those routers to test the above.

To cut a long story short, you have to enter standard wireless router mode to make changes to the MTU settings in there that then affect both working modes, standard router and 4g mode. The option to change MTU settings should really be available in both working modes, but it is only available when running in standard wireless router mode.

Thanks all.
Chris.
Options
TL MR6400 blocks HTTPS internet connec
2016-07-28 16:37:09
I wonder if the game would give you a delayed Connection Lost message. It is likely the time to switch between connections will be over the server threshold of unresponsiveness.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1683

Replies: 5