Printer share on modem/router xDSL OS X 10.11

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2016-02-15 19:59:14
Model :

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP :

There is a general issue with the Printer USB Controller Utility for Mac OS X 10.11 aka El Capitan.
It is independent of the modem model.

The software works in previous releases of OS X only.
I propose that TP Link embeds the controller into the modem firmware so that no external, third party software is needed.
Really, the USB controller should be part of the device not of the OS ... be that Windows, Linux or OS X.

ADDITIONAL INFO: I know that Netgear modems have a similar issue and I also know that a clone type of software called SX Virtual Link looks and feels the same as the USB Controller Utility, but doesn't work in 10.11 either!!

The fact that Apple has now published the code for Darwin 10.11 should allow the coding of a beta version.
I look forward to a solution , if not I have to sell my Archer VR900 !
Options
9 Reply
Re:Printer share on modem/router xDSL OS X 10.11
2016-02-16 17:08:13
There is a little bit more information about this issue kindly volunteered by Silex to me.

Apple has removed The interface (API) called IOUSBControllerV3. And features like UIMCreateControlTransfer,and CreateRootHubDevice which just got removed without any kind ofreplacement. This is needed for USB network printing via router and it is now impossible.

So, I have written to Apple Developer programmer saying that this is a bug and that the interfaces API are needed.
Maybe we should all write to Apple and they may react!I am sure that TP Link has told them as well, but developers cannot work on this without the Apple API and tools.
Help yourself by helping others: write to Apple via bug reporting here:
https://developer.apple.com/bug-reporting/
Options
2016-02-28 22:26:42
I have contacted them too. Let's hope for the best.
Options
2016-03-01 20:33:41

DigitALL wrote

I have contacted them too. Let's hope for the best.

THANK YOU every little message and gesture helps, maybe?
Options
2016-03-03 21:35:45
I got an answer from Apple. I hope some of the TP-Links developers will read this! After all it is just a matter of standing behind your products and develop the correct software. Or does it come down to (lack) of knowledge?

c/p:

Thank you for your email to Apple Developer Program Support regarding the removal of IOUSBControllerV3, UIMCreateControlTransfer, and CreateRootHubDevice.

My name is Maegan, and I sincerely apologize for the time it has taken to respond to your request. I will certainly be happy to assist you, in any way I can.

I understand from your email that we removed IOUSBControllerV3, UIMCreateControlTransfer, and CreateRootHubDevice, which make printing via USB network from a router obsolete.

I wanted to let you know that we provide administrative-level support to members of the Apple Developer Programs. Therefore, I would be unable to give you direct feedback regarding the removal of these technologies, however, I did find some documentation you may find helpful.

First, I found "Kernel Changes for Objective-C lists” which does list all three of these technologies removed:

https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/releasenotes/General/APIDiffsMacOSX10_11/Objective-C/Kernel.html

However, there are other technologies that may be useful to making the USB printing experience possible with Mac OS X El Capitan.

Secondly, I found that other developers, whom were also interested in finding useful alternatives, were able to obtain solutions from "USB Release Notes - OS X v10.11 Changes":

https://developer.apple.com/library/prerelease/mac/releasenotes/Darwin/RN_USB/Articles/10_11Changes.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40007739-CH3-SW1

If neither of these articles are useful for you, you may consider posting a thread on the Apple Developer Forums, to see what other developers have used to implement USB printing with El Capitan:

http://devforums.apple.com

I hope that this information is helpful to you. If you have any questions or need further assistance, don’t hesitate to contact us. Refer to your case ID: 1057935588. Have a great day!

Best Regards,

end c/p
Options
2016-03-11 17:08:29
They did read it because I emailed them! Here is the reply:
"Dear Alfredo,

Latest news , we have communicate with our RD, they said it's still difficult to make a utility .

Apple still doesn't provide some code which is necessary to the utility .
They have contact with APPLE but no effect.

So , looks like we are difficult to make a utility now ...
Wish we could got some clue before long.
I will keep you update if we got some progress."
Options
2016-03-14 08:48:58
Thanks for the update... here's to hoping this gets sorted out sometime soon.
Options
2016-03-27 16:13:46

calcagnino wrote

Thanks for the update... here's to hoping this gets sorted out sometime soon.

Sorry to have to tell all of you that Apple has not helped and that network USB printing is gone for ever: thanks to big APPLE powerful and arrogant attitude:
gone it is. We need to buy a new printer or dump Apple hardware or simply return to Windows hardware.
Bye bye TP Link routers on a Mac!
Options
2016-06-04 05:03:39
Well I was wrong and Apple is reacting to this ... I had an email from Silex which has the same issues than TP and I quote it for you:
Silex Technology America (Silex) would like to share a progress update with our customers who have been impacted by the incompatibility between our USB over IP products and the MAC OS X 10.11 (El Capitan).
Our USB over IP business is an important part of our Device Networking product category.
We are the global leader in this space, with approximately 20 million devices that incorporate our technology. We are doing everything possible to find a solution for you.
The good news is that Apple has started working with us to help implement a fix. We expect to provide a more detailed update at the end of June.
The new software interface introduced in El Capitan became incompatible with our USB over IP technology which makes USB devices available over IP technology on Apple computers. The following Silex products are impacted:
We sincerely apologize to all of you for experiencing the inconvenience during this time.
Options
2016-06-22 15:52:53
Close this thread no interested parties, not even tp link......
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1189

Replies: 9