Archer D7 on Telstra NBN FTTP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2016-05-28 10:28:05
Model :

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi Everyone
a quick note for NBN in Australia on Telstra Network

I just had all NBN (FTTP Fibre to the premises) hooked up
first time in years Telstra (more accurately the contractors) got it right
The time frame
ordered NBN late April 2016
Had an email 19/5 saying we will be there Monday morning to install
Monday had NBN installed see page 5 of http://www.nbnco.com.au/content/dam/nbnco/documents/preparing-for-the-nbn.pdf
hooked up a PC (see page 9 data port 1) and i have NBN
Phone still on PSTN

Friday 9:30 Tech turns up and converts phone to NBN (See page 9 voice port 1) phone on NBN
other handset not yet cabled will be using existing cables to attach wall plate near NBN equipment thus extending for other handset /fax etc

Friday 11AM tech turns up with RouterTG797n V3 and hooks it up to data port 1 (i let him do his work verified connection etc)

Friday 1pm Disconnected Telstra router, set my Archer D7 to factory default, checked for updates (currently on 0.9.1 1.1 v002d.0 Build 150824 Rel.40904n)

ignored quick setup jumped to advanced
set operational mode to "wireless router mode" rebooted
Connected Archer D7 port 4/wan to NBN data port 1
Set Network / internet Connection type to dynamic IP saved (wait, Wait, have an IP? yes, should work)

rebooted router (not needed but did it any way)
all connected / wifi devices turned off
connected pc to Archer (port 1), internet active
Set Wifi access, DHCP, Parental controls, etc
Turn on all devices set wifi where needed.

all working ok

Word of warning: Telstra may want to send updates to T979 router may, may give an error in log or disconnect you from internet for an hour or so in first or second night, no panic just wait

This is just my experience, Had some dramas getting router to work in backroom where i want it, had a cable that would work PC to Router, But NBN to router cable has some errors that it was sensitive about so replacing cable.
I am an IT Tech but I have tried to simplify this so anyone can follow.

Hope it all goes well
Scruffyman
Options
1 Reply
Re:Archer D7 on Telstra NBN FTTP
2017-08-09 09:22:52
Hi Scruffyman, How is your D7 performing now? I'm considering trying mine when I become hooked up to NBN - FTTP in a few weeks time. How is Telstra's performance during peak times?
My current ADSL+ performance with TPG is reasonable but I'm close to the exchange. Not sure about staying w TPG or going with Optus or Telstra.

skylifetp
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 923

Replies: 1