Archer C7 - WDS Bridging not working

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2016-07-15 15:45:45
Model : Archer C7

Hardware Version : V2

Firmware Version :

Hi,

I bought a new Archer C7 V2. At home I have a main dual band router- VDSL modem that is connected to the internet (unknown brand - got it from my ISP).
The main router is in the living room. Now I want to connect the Archer C7 as a bridge in order to connect my NAS, network printer and desktop computer through the LAN ports to the home network.
I enabled WDS bridging on the Archer C7 (on the 5Ghz band), disabled DHCP and connected to the main router's wifi network.
I connected my computer to the Archer C7 ethernet LAN port - I can see that it did connect to the home network, but... It doesn't have internet address.
I ran ipconfig on the desktop computer - It did get an ip address, apperantly from the main router (since DHCP on the C7 is disabled) and I can connect to other computers in the network, but I can see that the default gateway for the computer is the Archer C7 and not the main router, which I suspect is root cause of the problem.
Any suggestions?
Do you think that if I'll get another Archer C7 and connect it to the main router (using the main router only as a modem) and then enabling WDS bridging will solve my problems?

Thanks,
Mickey
Options
1 Reply
Re:Archer C7 - WDS Bridging not working
2016-07-22 09:25:51
TP-Link has a useful guide if you happen to own two Archer C7s, but the generalities should apply to just about any WDS setup. I should warn you though that WDS is a bit dogey unless you utilize routers that match both in brand, model, and hardware revision; simply due to the fact that there is no standard on how vendors implement WDS. Sadly, I own two of these and I can say with confidence that unless you statically assign IP addresses to systems connected via the ethernet ports on the Archer C7, they will not be able to obtain new leases for IP addresses, as DHCP seems to be broken when traversing the bridge using WDS. In other words, you're unable to get an internet address using WDS. I'd be willing to do some testing, given some time, but I'd rather involve someone from TP-Link in the process.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3674

Replies: 1

Related Articles