Archer D7 - firmware removes firewall! (IPv6 implications)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2016-09-10 13:33:08
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I recently updated my Archer D7 v1 firmware.
One of the listed changes is " Adopted a totally new web management interface, more concise and easy to use.".
This new interface does not contain the firewall feature the router previously had.

In the case of IPv4, you might argue that a firewall isn't essential because NAT inherently blocks incoming connections by default.
However, in the case of IPv6, your ISP assigns a public address prefix, and hosts on your LAN are assigned public addresses. As IPv6 does not use NAT, the router's firewall becomes essential for securing hosts on your LAN from unwanted access on the internet.

I bought this router for IPv6 support and ongoing firmware updates. Should I suddenly be forced to choose between one and the other?
Has this oversight opened up a gaping security hole for any customers using IPv6?
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 421

Replies: 0

Related Articles