TD-W8968 - how to set up as second (sub) router with own DHCP and DNS?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-01-02 02:43:08
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi. I am hoping to use this router (TD-W8968) to set DNS and/or VPN settings for devices connecting directly to it via ethernet or wifi.
This router is connected to a LAN port of the main ISPs modem/router which handles the internet connection.
That ISP router runs DHCP to it's own LAN.
I don't want to change the DNS settings on that router (it will likely create various issues with the ISP's services).

As far as I can make out I need to assign the TP-link an external IP in the first router's range so it is on that network and can use that internet gateway.
Then somehow I need to set another IP for the second LAN that is going to be DHCP'd by the TP-Link along with the range of IPs the TP-link will dish out.
I can't work out where to set this.
Maybe the TP-link needs to consider the ISP's LAN as a WAN but I still don't see where to set a static IP for that.

Any ideas very welcome.

You will see form my above description that I am a networking novice and therefore may not be outlining my issue very well.
So feel free to ask for more detail or clarification.

Thanks in advance if you can shed any light on this.

Ed
Options
3 Reply
Re:TD-W8968 - how to set up as second (sub) router with own DHCP and DNS?
2017-01-03 20:37:10
You may let TD-W8968 work in wireless router mode (EWAN mode). You can refer to the UG of the product, around page 24 or so.
Options
Thanks Pablo
2017-01-04 21:12:10
That's good to know. I don't see any user guides mentioned on the TP-Link web site though?I checked downloads and searched.Any idea where I can find one?Thanks
Options
Re:TD-W8968 - how to set up as second (sub) router with own DHCP and DNS?
2017-01-04 22:10:08
Thanks pacoo. I found the guide in the end.Will see if it helps.BestEd
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1138

Replies: 3