Help needed with invalid characters in USB hard drive formatted on OSX

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-01-22 21:31:30
Model : TD-W9980

Hardware Version : TD-W9980 v1 00000001

Firmware Version : 0.6.0 1.13 v0021.0 Build 160125 Rel.52064n

Hi there,I have a TD-W9980 router all setup and working fine with my broadband connection.

Currently I have a 2GB USB flash drive plugged into the back of the router for very simple backup purposes. I have now been trying to get a 1TB USB hard drive working but unfortunately to no avail.

After formatting the drive about 5 different ways on OSX I can finally get the router to see the drive and all is fine until I go into the FTP sharing section where I can select the drive and click into a folder on the drive but then when I try to add that folder it comes up telling me I have invalid characters.

The drive is simply called Router HD and the folder on the drive is called Backups. The drive has been formatted on OSX using the FAT option in Disk Utility. I'm not too sure where I'm going wrong as I can't see anything that would be an invalid character so any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Also is FAT the best formatting option for me as I'd like a format which allows long file names, upper and lower case filenames, large files and everything else that you'd expect nowadays.

Also I want to be able to connect to it easily from Mac computers and iPhones / iPads both over the internal network and also from outside the network. Trying NTFS format the drive did show up partially on the router but I was unable to connect to it / mount it in OSX even using Paragon NTFS which I've never had a problem with before. I guess if I can find out what it means by invalid characters then I can hopefully go from there but at the moment I'm literally left scratching my head as to what it means by that as I can't see any characters that are invalid anywhere.

Many thanks for any help with this.

Best wishes,

Mark
Options
2 Reply
Re:Help needed with invalid characters in USB hard drive formatted on OSX
2017-02-04 06:52:34
Crikey!

No replies at all. Ah well. Will have to look at getting a different router then if that's the amount of support given :-(
Options
Re:Help needed with invalid characters in USB hard drive formatted on OSX
2017-02-04 17:04:22
In my opinion best solution for you will be NAS DiskStation. Working perfectly compared to the USB drive
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 554

Replies: 2