TD-W8980 VPN Setup

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TD-W8980 VPN Setup

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
TD-W8980 VPN Setup
TD-W8980 VPN Setup
2017-01-29 17:43:29
Model : TD-W8980

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi,

I recently subscribed to an online VPN service provider and have been trying to setup the VPN connection on my TP-Link TD-W8980 router.

Each of the online tutorials/resources suggest this should be configured via the 'WAN Settings' area of the router, and to use the "L2TP/Russia L2TP" option. Examples:
https://support.purevpn.com/how-to-setup-purevpn-manually-on-tp-link-router
https://www.expressvpn.com/support/vpn-setup/manual-config-for-tp-link-router-with-l2tp/

I cannot see that my router has this option (see attached image), however all comments online suggest the device is in fact VPN compatible. I've been searching for hours but cannot find anything which might help solve this issue.

Under 'ALG Settings', all VPN/ALG settings are set to 'Enable'.

The device is used to connect my home network to the internet. I also use a TP-Link TL-WA901ND access point on my upstairs PC to access the network and extend the range of the router.
I came across a forum comment which suggests you can't use the same device for ADSL broadband and connecting to a VPN service, but hope this isn't the case!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
File:
tplinkwan1.pngDownload
Options
7 Reply
Re:TD-W8980 VPN Setup
2017-04-20 07:08:50
i am having the same issue, any response out there?
Options
Same issue
2017-09-16 02:31:53

JeffW wrote

i am having the same issue, any response out there?
I am having the same problem but with TD-W9980 model. No answer from TP Link yet?
Options
2017-12-04 03:46:06
Did this ever get resolved having the same issue at the moment. cant seem to get any vpn to work with this router.
Options
2018-05-31 03:27:21
I'm having the same problem with my TD-W8980, I'm trying to configure it for TigerVPN but got stuck, could anyone help me please?
Options
TP-Link Support Service Phone Number
2018-06-05 14:27:12
You can contact TP-Link support service via online support system, direct contact phone number and social media services. The company offers support through the Toll-free number, email, and live-chat. Moreover, you can visit the social media pages of TP-Link. Find all the TP-Link support information now.
Options
2018-06-14 19:00:04
I have not set up a VPN on the TD-W8980 router (yet, since it is the one I am now forced to use), but I am guessing that it is now done in the 'IPSec VPN / IPSec Tunnel Mode Connections' page. Click the 'Add New Connection' button and work through the fields. Note, there is an 'Advance' to the bottom right which you might need to use if the VPN particulars are not the normal generic Open VPN etc. It is on my list of things to fix, currently working through multiple DDNS entries, or lack there of.

Interested in the outcome of this thread.

For what it's worth, I have been using TP-Link email contact service {support@tp-link.com} since I don't do social media. They typically get back within 24 hours.

Kind regards.
Options
Similar Issue
2018-08-17 15:58:05
I am facing a similar issue but I notice I have a different VPN service and router.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3877

Replies: 7

Related Articles