RE350 in access point mode issue

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

RE350 in access point mode issue

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
32 Reply
Re:RE350 in access point mode issue
2017-08-09 20:21:21
@TP-Admin Your bug fixed firmware stated as "only for Singaporean/Malaysian/HongKong's users". My RE350 is used in UK - is there a UK/European version available with this bug fix, as there is nothing available on UK support site.

TP-Admin wrote

We have fixed this bug on the latest firmware in this link: http://www.tp-link.sg/download/RE350.html#Firmware
You may download the firmware RE350_V1_170527_SG,MY,HK and upgrade your RE350 V1 according to this link: http://www.tp-link.sg/faq-1272.html
Options
2017-08-10 09:18:12
Noticed some weirdness with my wireless devices after installing the latest update. I did some digging around and it looks like the WiFi signal strength settings no longer work. One step forward, one step back. Think I'm going to ditch this thing or revert to the beta firmware (if possible).
Options
2017-08-10 17:07:09

PaulG44 wrote

@TP-Admin Your bug fixed firmware stated as "only for Singaporean/Malaysian/HongKong's users". My RE350 is used in UK - is there a UK/European version available with this bug fix, as there is nothing available on UK support site.

Hi Paul, you can use the EU version firmware on this website:
http://www.tp-link.com/en/download/RE350.html#Firmware
Options
2017-08-10 17:16:23

CheesePatrol wrote

Noticed some weirdness with my wireless devices after installing the latest update. I did some digging around and it looks like the WiFi signal strength settings no longer work. One step forward, one step back. Think I'm going to ditch this thing or revert to the beta firmware (if possible).

What's your current firmware? is it working repeater mode or access point mode?
Make sure it is configured successfully first. Then check the signal strength when you are not so far.
Normally the signal will go back and forth when the distance is far or there are some obstacles.
Options
2017-08-13 07:24:13
Same issue here with two Archer C7 routers configured as access points. They're connected via Ethernet (over LAN ports) and have internal DHCP servers disabled. I'm running my own DHCP server on the LAN.
Options
2017-08-14 16:28:44

rathann wrote

Same issue here with two Archer C7 routers configured as access points. They're connected via Ethernet (over LAN ports) and have internal DHCP servers disabled. I'm running my own DHCP server on the LAN.

Since C7 and RE350 don't support seamless roaming, and most clients don't support seamless roaming as well, normally a client will continue to connect a wifi signal, until it is unable to detect it, but actually when a signal is very weak, it is not enough to provide internet. So during the period of roaming, it will take a minute or a few to finish the process with internet access.
Options
2017-08-15 00:39:26

Enson Loo wrote

Since C7 and RE350 don't support seamless roaming, and most clients don't support seamless roaming as well, normally a client will continue to connect a wifi signal, until it is unable to detect it, but actually when a signal is very weak, it is not enough to provide internet. So during the period of roaming, it will take a minute or a few to finish the process with internet access.

This was true some years ago. Nowadays the roaming behavior is much more on the client side. For example iOS device starts scanning for new AP when RSSI value is <-70dBm for more than one second. You can find more here:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-0/iPhone_roam/b_iPhone-roaming.html

Jiri
https://wifihome.cz/
Options
2017-08-15 06:44:33

Enson Loo wrote

No, that's not what's happening. Roaming between access points happens seamlessly (I can see the BSSID of the AP I'm associated with and the signal level). It's just that I have to wait 5 minutes (every time) for the DHCP replies to start arriving through the AP that I roamed to. I don't just lose internet access after roaming to a different AP. I can't obtain an IP address from DHCP for 5 minutes and I can see DHCP replies being sent by the DHCP server during those 5 minutes. They just don't reach my device after roaming to a different AP for 5 minutes. I haven't replaced factory firmware with OpenWRT/LEDE on the C7s yet (one is still under warranty), so I don't know what's happening on them apart from what the status pages of the web interface tell me. And they tell me that for 5 minutes, my device is "seen" by both APs and the DHCP packets start arriving at the correct AP only after my device is gone from the status page of the AP that's out of range.
Options
2017-08-15 17:47:20

kuldik wrote

This was true some years ago. Nowadays the roaming behavior is much more on the client side. For example iOS device starts scanning for new AP when RSSI value is <-70dBm for more than one second. You can find more here:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-0/iPhone_roam/b_iPhone-roaming.html

Jiri
https://wifihome.cz/

Thank you for your sharing. It indeed depends on the clients side mainly, and different clients have different performance on the roaming part.
Options
2017-08-15 17:50:01

rathann wrote

No, that's not what's happening. Roaming between access points happens seamlessly (I can see the BSSID of the AP I'm associated with and the signal level). It's just that I have to wait 5 minutes (every time) for the DHCP replies to start arriving through the AP that I roamed to. I don't just lose internet access after roaming to a different AP. I can't obtain an IP address from DHCP for 5 minutes and I can see DHCP replies being sent by the DHCP server during those 5 minutes. They just don't reach my device after roaming to a different AP for 5 minutes. I haven't replaced factory firmware with OpenWRT/LEDE on the C7s yet (one is still under warranty), so I don't know what's happening on them apart from what the status pages of the web interface tell me. And they tell me that for 5 minutes, my device is "seen" by both APs and the DHCP packets start arriving at the correct AP only after my device is gone from the status page of the AP that's out of range.

Are both Archer C7 configured as Access Point mode? Make sure the Hardware NAT is on on the Archer C7.
I suggest you send an email to TP-Link support to do more analyze.
Options
Related Articles