A problem with 2.4 Ghz download speed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-03-23 19:57:21
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi there,

I recently purchased an Archer VR2600 to replace my Sky router. I live in a built up area and find that the 2.4 ghz bands are rather crowded so was looking for a 5 ghz product. I'm on a 39 mbs (download) / 10 mps (upload) fibre-to-cabinet service.

Generally it's been a positive experience. After some initial configuration challenges I got it working. The 5 ghz offers expected upload and download speeds and the 2.4 ghz offers the right upload speed. The problem, however, is the 2.4 ghz speed which rarely gets above 2 mbs.

I appreciate the most obvious route is to try differing channels and went through 1, 6 and 11 with no difference. I then tried the alternatives which don't appear to have many other users (from the usual analyser tools). I would just suggest not using the 2.4 ghz band but the 5 ghz doesn't really reach upstairs and my desktop machine and printer are both reliant on this. Everything which can be on Ethernet is, but I still need to carry wireless signal around the house - particularly for data transmission between peripherals.

I made contact with TP Link who initially suggested that it was a hardware fault and recommended I replace it. This I have done and it's the same problem. A further query to them suggested changing the wireless channels, or it could simply be that it's not compatible with Sky (which I find a tad odd as it's in the drop down of service providers).

Naturally I need to justify a £150+ spend to my wife who- quite understandably- doesn't understand why I appear to be using something inferior.

Should I just get a refund and buy a Sky Q router instead for half the price?
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 360

Replies: 0

Related Articles