BT Infinity and Archer VR900 V2 AC1900

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-04-06 05:44:32
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Dumb questions I'm sure, but I need to be sure I am buying the right bit of kit...
I'm in the UK. I'm currently on BT Infinity service sold via another provider. I have a BT OpenReach modem attached to my existing Netgear R7000 EWAN port via ethernet cable.
So, 2 questions.....
1. To be clear, with the Archer VR900 V2 AC1900 I do not need the OpenReach modem, the Archer V900 v2 unit has a modem built in, so I just plug the RJ11 telephone line that USED to go to the modem straight into the V900 DSL port. Is that right? The setup then automatically detects the type of connection (PPPoE)?
2. That being the case has anybody found any change (increase or decrease) in download/upload speed when using the TP-Link's integral modem compared with the external BT OpenReach modem? I'm guessing (hoping) it is a better (or at least technologically more up-to-date) modem compared with my little white OpenReach unit that I've been using for several years.
Thanks in advance....
Options
4 Reply
Re:BT Infinity and Archer VR900 V2 AC1900
2017-04-08 17:16:03
Hi,

I used to have the BT HH3 which was connected to the white openreach mode.
I purchased the Archer VR600 which is a VDSL (IMPORTANT FOR INFINITY) modem+router and now it is the only device connected to the master phone socket.

Just make sure you use the following username / password when setting up and use the wizard to select BT_VDSL

[CODE]
user: bthomehub@btbroadband.com
pass: BT
[/CODE]
Options
2017-05-05 19:51:37
I'm running a VR900 V2 on BT infinity without any problems, just plugged straight into the wall socket, separate modem not needed.
Multicast for BT TV works without any problem as long as you select UK region then BT as the ISP from the drop-down menu during setup.
Even the BT Sport 4K UHD channel works flawlessly, which some 'multicast capable' routers have had problems with.
Wireless coverage is way better than my old BT HH6 & it connected to the fibre at a faster speed too (HH6 @ 72.8 - VR900 @ 75.6).
Overall very happy, the only thing I could gripe about is the VDSL line stats page, basic info only compared to some other routers.
Options
2017-06-29 19:28:28

smallal wrote

I'm running a VR900 V2 on BT infinity without any problems, just plugged straight into the wall socket, separate modem not needed.
Multicast for BT TV works without any problem as long as you select UK region then BT as the ISP from the drop-down menu during setup.
Even the BT Sport 4K UHD channel works flawlessly, which some 'multicast capable' routers have had problems with.
Wireless coverage is way better than my old BT HH6 & it connected to the fibre at a faster speed too (HH6 @ 72.8 - VR900 @ 75.6).
Overall very happy, the only thing I could gripe about is the VDSL line stats page, basic info only compared to some other routers.

Thats is all good to know, did the Archer keep/see the static IP's the BT hub setup, or did you start again?
Options
2017-07-01 21:38:47
Didn't notice.
As I said I just plugged it in, set region to UK & selected BT as my ISP, the rest was done by the router automatically.
No manual settings needed.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 918

Replies: 4