TD-VG3631 and connecting USB storage (HDD)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-04-11 10:59:30
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

[/SIZE][SIZE=2][/SIZE]Informational post - but I would appreciate info on modems that support "real" external hard disks.

Western Digital advised me that the power requirement for their USB external drive, the WD Elements model WDBU6Y0020BBK-PESN, is between 800mA to 1.0A.
[SIZE=3] The exact advice: "The power requirements for a USB 3.0 external is 0.8 to 1Amp"
The TP-Link modem (the one I have TD-VG3631) implies that it is suitable for USB mass storage including hard disks, but I fun that it fails to work with the WD Elements. (I can explain what this means, if it is of interest to anyone).

On enquiry with TP-Link support in Australia, I was advised that the USB for that connection purpose supplies only 500mA - the reason for its failure.

However, a USB "stick" works OK.

Obvious problem: limited capacity, and the FAT file system (changing it to NTFS can be done, but the storage size is the real problem. My WD Elements is 2Tb and cost about $110 AUD, whereas a 64Gb USB is about $40 AUD for a SanDisk).

Comments?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 453

Replies: 0