A lot of issues with the TD-W8961N...

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-06-22 18:51:54
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi,
I have just purchased a 300Mbps Wireless N ADSL2+ Modem Router TD-W8961N (v.2.0) to replace my dead TD-W8951ND less than a week… and I’ve encountered so many issues with this router compared to the TD-W8951ND.

The downloadable EasySetupAssistant app for quickly setting up the router with basic operation settings is not setting the router up based on the settings provided.
Country related settings will be asked by the app, but will never be entered into the router to speed up configuration.
[*]Using the router Diagnostics page will hang the web router configuration window and router – often resulting in router test criteria failure of diagnostic and ping.
This happens regardless whatever browser was used (Edge, Firefox, Chrome, IE). Sometimes it can even cause browsers to completely hang in this state or the router settings page will never be functional… forcing a force close of the browser or restart the router via hardware power button.
[*]My biggest issue with the router are the Internet connectivity drop (a hard refresh of the browser page will then be required a number of times before the pages eventually get loaded). Opening a link either in the same page or into a new browser window or tab and all will require a page refresh manually (and a good number of times too).
This happens on LAN connected desktops and also wireless devices. The duration when this happens is random; ranging from minutes to the point I have to restart the router to get Internet working again.
The time this happens is mostly when devices are idle on wireless but on LAN it is random despite having background data downloading.
Using the TD-W8951ND had no issues of this problem whatsoever, using the broadband company's Modem Router also had no issues of connectivity... therefore it is not an broadband Internet service issue.
[*]At random times the browser will hang while the Router configuration window exists in any of the browser’s tab or pages and left unattended for a specific time. Sometimes it doesn’t.

Please if anybody has a solution to this, it would be greatly appreciated. TP-Link please fix this.
Options
2 Reply
Re:A lot of issues with the TD-W8961N...
2017-08-02 16:19:03
What's the firmware version of the TD-W8961N? You may upgrade it if it is not the latest one. Also you may send an email to tplink tech support ( support.my@tp-link.com) to get help.
Options
Re:A lot of issues with the TD-W8961N...
2017-08-03 21:42:14

Shield101 wrote

What's the firmware version of the TD-W8961N? You may upgrade it if it is not the latest one. Also you may send an email to tplink tech support ( support.my@tp-link.com) to get help.

The firmware was the same version with what was available on TP-Link website when it was purchased, and then reflashed with the same version (and only firmware release available) to ensure that the errors weren't caused by a improperly flashed firmware. I've sent email to their support already and am still in the process of figuring out what is causing the problem.

Overall, I'm quite disappointed because their earlier products weren't this problematic.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1828

Replies: 2

Related Articles