getting better Powerline plug speeds

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-07-27 19:42:52
Model : TL-8010P x 3 and TL-PA8030P x 2
Hardware Version : V2 and V1
Firmware Version : 2.2.3.32-00_801132_170607_902 and 2.0.0.382-05_803111_160418_915

have been using TP-link plugs for sometime, have found them to reliable, good price, simply do the job.

Around my home I was using an AV500 and AV600 mix, was seeing 266Mbps - 337Mbps respectively (5 adaptors in total)

Just replaced with AV1300 Gigabit kits...

mainly TL-8010P AV2 kits, but with a pair of TL-PA8030P AV1 in the mix to get triple ports in a couple of places (living room / CCTV cams)

I was told by TP-link chat that the mix would see me using the speeds of lesser AV1200 adaptors in my equation.

Straight out the box and comparing location for location: I'm now seeing 299Mbps - 589Mbps, respectively. While the 589 is a good speed increase, the 299 isn't

Reading through a few posts I thought i'd check my firmware which I've now upgraded to the latest UK releases for my adaptors.

and giving them a few minutes to stabilise I'm now seeing the same 299-589 as before.

How can you improve on these speeds and see nearer the box advertised speeds?

Can anyone explain the new Utility better to me?
I seem to be able to view speeds in different directions of adaptors (by clicking different parts of my map)

TIA
Options
7 Reply
Re:getting better Powerline plug speeds
2017-07-27 20:25:13
For the speed, if you have different speed in different locations, probably some locations are further away from the main powerline adapter, and have more interference, while some locations which sees better speed have less interference.

About the Utility, once you click on a device, you can see some lines goes from that device to other units and have a speed on the lines. That is the link speed between the unit you clicked and others. e.g. If there are 3 units, when you click unit 1, it will show the speed between unit 1 and unit 2, unit 1 and unit 3. If you click on unit 2, it will show the speed between unit 2 and unit 1, unit 2 and unit 3.
Options
2017-07-27 20:32:42
thanks Enson :)

logic of distance aside: is there any way to decrease objects/things that cause such line noise? two particular points on my LAN are visually close together, however I appreciate the electrical wiring may not take the same line of sight route I see.

utility: my office seems to be the primary plug (it was the first to go in) and as such I see anywhere between 200-600Mbps to the various plugs .

e.g office to living room 528Mbps, yet when I click living room the arrow reverse and I see 522Mbps for the exact same route (and all others switch to 11Mbps)
Options
2017-07-28 05:00:17
Make sure you plug directly into your wall sockets and don't use multiway adaptors or extensions leads...
Options
2017-07-28 14:16:06
It's hard to decrease the noise in powerline since we cannot really see it. You may try the FAQ from TP-Link: http://www.tp-link.com/en/faq-409.html

About the speed showing on the utility, it should be good. Since your office plug is the main plug which connect to the router, all the other plugs will talk with it. So the speed between the main plug and others is the speed which matters. When you click other plug, the utility will show you the speed between that plug and the office plug, and it will also show you the speed between that plug and the rest. but the speed between other plugs actually doesn't matter because they won't need to communicate with each other. They will all talk to the main plug connected to the router.
Options
2017-07-28 16:29:14
500 Mbit/s is a fairly solid connection rate in a real life scenario. Don't worry about those showing 11 - that's what happens when older adapters (like AV500 series) are in powersave mode.
Options
2017-07-28 18:22:19

Peter M wrote

500 Mbit/s is a fairly solid connection rate in a real life scenario. Don't worry about those showing 11 - that's what happens when older adapters (like AV500 series) are in powersave mode.

cheers Peter, followed a number of your threads and you appear to know your TP-Link PLCs

just a little puzzled as to why you don't get anywhere near the GIGABIT emblazon across the boxes etc. I've got NO AV500 in this mix, its now just AV1300 and AV1200 only. But both listed 2 x 2MIMO (whatever that is)

Does the device connected to each adaptor play a part in the amount of speed we see in the util? e.g a CCTV camera wont show as much traffic as a WiFi Access Point/Blu Ray/Cellphone booster, perhaps?

Make sure you plug directly into your wall sockets and don't use multiway adaptors or extensions leads...

Vogon, thanks I'm aware of that. it def makes a difference IMHO, specially if you have anti-surge, however you are sometimes left with no choice due to the size or position of the adaptor.

These NEW AV1300 adaptors are not as compact as my previous models IMHO. They have the ethernets at the top of a VERY large physical plug, which for back of telly access might be good, but they take up alot more space and also often go the opposite direction to other plugs.
They are so large that they overhang most adjacent sockets i've found....and pretty ugly IMHO.

It's hard to decrease the noise in powerline since we cannot really see it. You may try the FAQ from TP-Link: http://www.tp-link.com/en/faq-409.html

About the speed showing on the utility, it should be good. Since your office plug is the main plug which connect to the router, all the other plugs will talk with it. So the speed between the main plug and others is the speed which matters. When you click other plug, the utility will show you the speed between that plug and the office plug, and it will also show you the speed between that plug and the rest. but the speed between other plugs actually doesn't matter because they won't need to communicate with each other. They will all talk to the main plug connected to the router.

thanks Enson, makes sense.
Options
2017-07-28 19:08:37
Hi moof, and thanks for the flowers.

Physical connection rate is not influenced by the local client device's throughput (or even the LAN line speed it supports, 10, 100 or 1000). PLC being a shared media network, there is an influence between devices as soon as total bandwidth usage becomes high. You may want to use the Quality of Service (QoS) settings in your adapters to give preference to whatever is most important to you - telephony, video/audio streaming, gaming latency, etc.

Indeed, the TP-Link 1200 and 2000 series plugs are quite large, much larger than most of the competition too. In Germany, adjacent outlets are spaced further apart, so it's kind of OK over here.

What Enson just said isn't actually true in a regular powerline network. Traffic is always directly peer to peer, not through one "main" adapter. One vendor (devolo) does have a "pro" series of PLC adapters, and their proprietary software lets you set up a single-master multiple-slave network for those cases where client devices are to be prohibited from talking to each other. Slave PLCs cannot talk to each other at all in that setup, not even through the master. [One PLC does "win" the role of the so called central coordinator - but that's just housekeeping, not traffic routing.]
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1395

Replies: 7

Related Articles