Strange behavior after connecting the HS200 switch

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-08-08 00:14:40
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hello all,

I am hoping someone can enlighten me on what is wrong with my second HS200 installation (the first one works perfectly).

I just installed an HS200 to replace a receptacle switch that controls power going to one of two standard receptacles. The lower is always-on while the upper receptacle is controlled by the light switch.

Wiring was pretty simple, the original switch only had a black and a red wire connected, the neutral and the ground were capped off. The HS200 was properly matched up:
HS200 wires TO existing wall wires
black - red (110v)
black - black (110v)
white - white (neutral)
green - copper (ground)

After I turned the circuit breaker on, I was able to successfully add this new HS200 switch to Kasa.

Unfortunately, I then found that by either physically pressing/activating the HS200 switch or trying to activate the switch from the Kasa app, results in the lamp (pulled into the HS200 controlled receptacle) flashing-on for less than a second and then the HS200 resets and goes offline for about 20 seconds.

Now, for the bizarre!
Upon further investigation, I discovered that if I pull the light's plug from the HS200 controlled receptacle, it appears to break the circuit, causing the HS200 to lose power. In other words, the light (in ON position) needs to be plugged into the receptacle in order to complete the circuit.

NOTE:
- This is a single switch. This isn't a 3-way switch.
- The HS200 is controlling a single receptacle and a single halogen lamp (192 watts) is plugged into this receptacle.
- The lower two buttons (restart/reset) on the HS200 are functioning normally.
- The WiFi and power status indicators are normal and the HS200 is communicating with Kasa. That is unless I pull the light from the receptacle or attempt to activate the receptacle (where power is momentarily disrupted).

Options
5 Reply
Re:Strange behavior after connecting the HS200 switch
2017-08-08 04:31:10
It sounds like it could be "power through fixture" type wiring (you can find a wiring diagram to confirm by googling for that phrase). You might be able to make it work depending on how the circuit is wired, but it is quite advanced.
Options
2017-08-08 09:01:53
Thank you, Mike!

I'm an electronics person so I am only vaguely familiar with different types of wiring. But you got it right! Thanks again.

Since I am not a licensed electrician, I don't think that I should run my own separate neutral wire from the receptacle to the switch (I think that is what's required). Besides, it would violate a condo bylaw and my home insurance policy.

Is this the only way?

Any other suggestions?
Options
2017-08-09 20:26:53
Did you test the four lines for the original switch ? Maybe the white line is not the neutral line but a live line or a ground line.
Have a check with an electroprobe.
Options
2017-08-09 21:13:02
Running a neutral line is the only safe and code compliant way to work with a power through fixture.

Connecting the TP Link switch white to ground will work (assuming you've got the line and load wires sorted) but it's an electrical code violation to do so.

uutommi is right, the lines are often swapped in this kind of setup (though they should be marked when the are). Yours is a little odd with the red but it's probably because it's feeding both the switched and unswitched socket. It is worth tracing them to confirm how they're wired.
Options
2017-08-13 08:56:08
Thanks again Mike,

> probably because it's feeding both the switched and unswitched socket.

That is exactly how it is wired. The switch controls one-half of the receptacle.

I'm certainly not certified to make this kind of modification to the electrical circuit. I'll contact a profession to determine if this modification is worth doing.

Options