Max number of named devices on M4 network?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-07-06 09:36:51
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.0.6

Hello, a first post here with an issue I hope someone can help me with.

I have recently set up 3 Deco M4R’s in my home to support a number of WiFi based smart home devices as well as general internet access. This is partly experimental as I am exploring what can be done and how far you can go with such systems. 

So far everything has gone well, the Deco system was quick and easy to set up and made a huge improvement to our WiFi across the house. I have been adding more and more smart devices over the last couple of months and now regularly see 70-75 devices online - I chose the Deco because it claimed to support up to 100 connected devices and I want to see if this true :)

As I’ve added new devices I’ve also named them in the Deco app so I can see what they are doing, replacing the default manufacturer ID with a user name, choosing a device type eg IoT and putting them into some simple profiles to group them. All good and very helpful for managing the network.

This worked fine until I reached somewhere around 57 devices, after which I started losing the information I’d entered on older devices as I brought in new ones - I’d name a new device and save it and then some of the previous ones would now show in the app as their default manufacturer ID (usually based on their MAC address) and all of the user name, device type and profile info gone. 

Is this a known bug or limitation? As I’ve added new devices the list of MAC-only devices showing in the Deco app has grown until I now see about 19 like this, all of which I’d set up and saved correctly before.

I should point out that the affected devices appear to be random, mostly smart lights and sockets but most recently 3 Amazon Echos went as well.

It’s not affecting the network in any functional way as I am using it at the moment but if I was adding tighter controls on some of the profiles such as phone or laptop access it would mean that would all be lost. There are also limits on the number of devices that can be put into a single profile but I can’t find this documented anywhere - only an error when the number is exceeded!

Request to TP-Link: the app should support full naming etc of all 100 devices which the network can support and also please document any limitations or restrictions on numbers of devices it can handle, either in the app, or the cloud or the routers themselves.

Thanks!

Options
3 Reply
Re:Max number of named devices on M4 network?
2019-07-08 20:37:16

Obviously nobody else has this problem :)

The limit appears to be 67 devices, not 57 as I first reported, as I was not including offline devices. 

So. You can’t freely rename more than 67 devices on a Deco M4 mesh network using the app, otherwise it throws away previously entered data. And your device profile information.

Options
Re:Re:Max number of named devices on M4 network?
2019-07-09 10:39:09

@GreyDad 

We have not received such feedback yet; 

We are working on it and confirm it with our engineers. 

Any updates, we will let you know immediately. 

Please kindly wait a while. 

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
Re:Re:Re:Max number of named devices on M4 network?
2019-07-09 10:46:46

Hi Kevin, thanks, no rush it’s not catastrophic :) It is a bit odd though, the sort of thing that happens when software engineers don’t make list lengths big enough :)

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2725

Replies: 3

Related Articles