Using TP link wr-740n router as a repeater to connect my desktop to wifi in house.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Using TP link wr-740n router as a repeater to connect my desktop to wifi in house.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-08-27 11:28:26 - last edited 2019-08-30 21:01:39
Model: Adapter  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 10

A few days ago my usb wifi donger, tplink wn822n  stopped working. I had an extra router tplink wr 740n  lying around which I decided to use in repeater mode and connect my pc to the wifi using it.

My tplink router which is working as repeater was initially becoming unresponsive every day. At start it would do that every time the D-Link router restarted. So I thought it was because of channel mismatch. So I forced both to run at channel 11. To prevent such mismatch in future. After that it had been 2-3 days and there was no problem.

But today the tplink router (being used as repeater ) became unresponsive again. I Had to reset the thing and reconfigure it to work again. What could be the problem.

Probable questions ans suggestions:

1. Why don't you buy a new router or adaptor?appvalley tutuapp tweakbox
    Ans. Don't have money to spare to buy a new router/adaptor.

2. Why can't you run the cable from modem/router to your desktop, or move the modem/router in same room?
    Ans. Can't run long cables in house. Even if the modem was to be moved, it'd require a long cable to be run across the house, due to the way the main line can enter into the house.

3. Why don't you try switching the routers?
    Ans. I did. When D-Link router was being used as a repeater, my pc got less than half the speed of our broadband connection. Switching the routers, i.e. using TP-link router as repeater made the speed on pc normal. Dlink as wifi router gives expected speed. If nothing works I'll switch back the routers, live with slightly less speeds instead of frequent disconnections.

Is this my life now ?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Using TP link wr-740n router as a repeater to connect my desktop to wifi in house.
2019-08-29 02:44:16

@uzi15 

Hello, before you have to switch back the routers, we can do some troubleshooting and find whether we can fix it. 

1. When the 740N stops working, with your computer connected to it, please click here to check the IP address and gateway. 

2. At that time, can you get internet from the main router with wireless connection by standing next to the 740N? 

3. How far away between the 2 routers? Have you ever tried to move the WR740N closer to the main router?

4. Please ensure that the firmware is up to date. 

5. When you setup the TL-WA740N as a repeater via WDS bridging feature, did you disable DHCP server and change the LAN IP address? Instruction as below:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/227/

Good day. 

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
Re:Using TP link wr-740n router as a repeater to connect my desktop to wifi in house.
2019-11-15 11:10:56

I faced same problem with my routers. I used a D-link router wifi in my home. It is not connected to my computer and does not work properly. Here I work my commercial window tinting denver project for designing windows styles. I need to gather some information related to my project. But my router not connected to my PC. I trying to search on the internet but didn't get any solutions. Please help me to resolve my router issues. Thanks for sharing this post with us.

Options
2019-11-15 14:33:37
The issues could be caused by slight differences in the way each brand handles the repeater specifications for connecting devices. Best to stick with a single brand. Be sure the firmware is up to date on both devices. With repeater mode, there will be a slow down of the WIFI connection based on how it repeaters works. Try moving the main router just a little bit, turning it in a different direction, changing the height, adjusting any antennas, as they all have an effect on the WIFI signal.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4152

Replies: 3

Related Articles