Router C3200 VPN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Router C3200 VPN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Router C3200 VPN
Router C3200 VPN
2019-08-27 16:11:57
Model: Archer C3200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 0.9.1 0.1 v004b.0 Build 160712 Rel.55313n

Hello TP-Link comunity

After speaking with support and found no solution, I turn to you for some help.

Here is my setup: One Archer C3200, one VPN service, and one USB HDD for storage. My goal is to access the USB HDD drive, thats connected to my router, externaly through ftp. After setting the HDD with the simple internet connection everything works perfectly, but once I add the VPN service (L2TP connection), the new external ftp IP stops working no matter what I try. Now if i try to connect to that ftp IP from within the network it works. Is there something I can do?, am I missing something here? It should be straight forward, since the router gives me the external ftp addresses that I should be using. Except they are not working once the VPN is ON.

Thanks for your help :)

Options
6 Reply
Re:Router C3200 VPN
2019-08-28 10:35:50

@KAlex 

Hello, what is the current network topology/diagram? 

The Archer C3200 does not support L2TP VPN server, how do you connect them together? 

Please provide more details so that we can give you a specific answer.

Thanks in advance, and have a nice day. 

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
Re:Re:Router C3200 VPN
2019-08-28 14:15:17 - last edited 2019-08-28 14:16:30

Ok, I will try. Although I dont understand why are you saying that C3200 doesnt support vpn server... as I have the option to select it from Internet Connection Type.

So, again my goal is tu access the HDD from outside. Here is what I did so far: 

Conected the C3200 to the internet router/modem that was provided by the ISP (which is in bridge mode so it wont get in my way) . It was connected by Dynamic IP . Added the USB HDD and set up the sharing settings... checked the box for the internet ftp access. At this point I tried to connect to the ftp address (that my router showed) from my phone (which was not connected to the local network) and everything worked as it should. I could see all the files from outside my local network.

Then I moved to the next step. As I have a paid VPN service, I wanted to add the VPN to the router so my entire local network will benefit from the VPN service, including my 2 TVs. In connection type where it says Dynamic IP, I selected L2TP, added my User/Password, left Dynamic IP checked, added the VPN server address, and then reconected to the Internet. At this point the ftp from the USB sharing settings has changed to probably the new VPN IP address. The VPN is working fine.. and evey device in my home is now listed on the country server I choose. The new ftp starts with 10.0.1.... so when I tryed this the phone will always give connection refused very fast. 

For some reason the router refuses this connection, and there is my question. Is there anything I can do ? or should I just forget it.

P.S. If i try to connect to this VPN ftp from within the local network, it works.

And sorry for any mistake in expressing myself... as english is not my native language, nor am I an expert in networking etc... :)

Options
Re:Re:Re:Router C3200 VPN
2019-08-30 10:46:36

@KAlex 

I said the Archer C3200 does not support L2TP VPN server and it supports Openvpn and PPTP VPN server.

The L2TP VPN available for internet connection type is different from VPN server; the former is the router gets internet by dialing up to an existing VPN server. And the internet IP will be assigned by the VPN server, not the original one anymore. 

Besides, cause the FTP via internet does not work once the VPN connection turned on, I suspect that the WAN IP address has changed. Please verify that. 

Good day. 

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Router C3200 VPN
2019-08-30 17:01:00

I understand.. and thanks for the reply, as I said I`m a beginner here. If by my WAN IP you mean my ISP IP, then it has not change... Anyway I gave this up and will just try and use it without the VPN service. 

But now there is a new problem. Since my USB DRIVE (WD MY BOOK) has sleep timer, after it wakes up the router will change its name from sda1 to sdb1.. or vice versa. That will make it unavailable to any app, from the network,  that already used its old name 

Is there any way around this ? 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Router C3200 VPN
2019-09-02 03:35:47

@KAlex 

The WAN IP is the internet IP address which locates on the advanced-status page.

Besides, for the HDD file name, we have not received much smiliar feedback yet, while we will keep an eye on it and work on it.

You can keep an eye on our official website or contact us for further information.

Good day.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Router C3200 VPN
2019-09-07 06:30:09 - last edited 2019-09-07 06:30:42

I thought I found a solution for the name change... I've added a USB stick that wouldn't go to sleep in an attempt to keep the names sda1 for the stick and sdb1 for the HDD drive. 

It worked for a few days... Then the drive changed to sdc1... So everything in the house related to that media folder stopped working. Anyone think of a solution? ... Or it would be easier to just sell this router and move on. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2040

Replies: 6

Related Articles