IP address of device when connected to router is not same as the IP address on the device itself

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

IP address of device when connected to router is not same as the IP address on the device itself

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-03-19 21:46:08
Model: Archer C3200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 0.9.1 0.1 v004b.0 Build 160116 Rel.29902n

HI all - I am new to the community and wanted to see if anyone here can answer some questions i have about my wireless network.

I am not having alot of trouble persay, but I do see things that don't make sense and thought I could ask people that are more knowlegeable than I about setting and operating wifi networks at home.

When I look at the DHCP section in my routers online interface, I can see two sections, one says Client List and the other says Address Reservation.

In my client list, I can see two entries for my laptop (a windows 7 machine), one entry has the matching mac address and IP address that I can see on the machine, but that entry is NOT PERMANENT.  The other entry says it is PERMANENT, but has a completely different mac address and IP address that DOES NOT MATCH what my laptop actually tells me it has.

I have other questions also..... for example, I try to put an entery in the address reservation section so that the device i'm adding gets the same IP address all the time, but that does not seem to work..... 

Any one have any thoughts on this?

I also am using a TP-LINK WIFI Extender AND my router is behind a cable modem.

Options
2 Reply
Re:IP address of device when connected to router is not same as the IP address on the device itself
2020-03-20 03:49:45

@iceman68 

What is the model number of the TP-Link range extender? And what about the current network diagram? 

Did you connect the laptop to the Archer C3200 directly or to the extender?

Please show us a full screenshot of the DHCP settings page, including online clients and address reservations. 

Besides, below is the instruction to configure the address reservations. If you want to allow specific device use fixed IP address, you can bind the IP and MAC  together. 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1554/

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1536/

Good day. 

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
Re:IP address of device when connected to router is not same as the IP address on the device itself
2020-03-20 13:38:08

@Kevin_Z 

Range extender is RE650

I think I figured out that the second set of mac addresses are coming from the range extender.

So now question is - how do you configure address reservation on the router? which mac address do you use when you are trying to assign the IP address to the device? the one from the device OR the one from the range extender.

I would like to connect all the devices to the range extender but make sure that they all get the IP addresses assigned to them as reserved on the router.

Is that possible?

Also, is there anyway to actually CLEAR THE CLIENT LIST?  

Options